Which is the best ball at St Andrews?

You can’t say all of them!

Most of us have been to at least one during our time here. Some are more famed than others and the queues for their tickets are evidence of this (Christmas Ball 2015 I’m looking at you). But which one is the best? Which of them is most worth the ticket price?

Opening Ball

Brought to the freshers of St Andrews by the Kate Kennedy Club, this ball (as can be surmised from its name) is the first black tie ball in the St Andrews calendar of society events and is held on Lower College Lawn. Attended in large part by first years still with that fresher buzz, this ball can really set the tone for those to come later on.

This year it was an undeniable success. The entrance was beautiful, there was plenty of space to dance, as well as plenty of popcorn, ice cream and candy floss, and the queues for the bar were tolerable, with guests being served efficiently.

Xavier Ball 

Previously named Bongo Ball and in aid of the Xavier Project, this year’s slogan for campaigning purposes was ‘Be Bright’. It was held at Crail Airfield and included in the ticket price were free chips, Vita Coco water, Tunnocks caramel wafers, a free drink as well as outdoor bonfires.

Being a slightly smaller ball, one student told us that the price of £35 seemed quite high. However, they said what was cool about the event was the organisers really followed up on their theme: you were given heaps of glowsticks the moment you got on the bus, as well as at the event itself, and there was plenty of UV lighting. Overall a small ball yes, but one that made an impression.

Masquerade Ball 

Held by the Charities Campaign on Lower College Lawn, a ball perfect for one night of anonymity in a town famed for its intimacy. Free ice cream, candy floss and photo booth complete with props kept this year’s guests happy.

With nowhere to sit and no bins however, the atmosphere was less magical than it could have been. On a small budget however, there is no doubt that yet again the Charities Campaign pulled off an event to raise a good amount of money for a worthy cause.

Welly Ball 

Held at Kinkell Byre and notably different from other balls in that everyone wears the same type of shoes: wellies (most of them Hunters of course) along with black tie. Tickets for the after party, at £20, are also cheaper than some other balls.

This year the transition from dinner to after party was relatively smooth and the food on offer, Emily Fruit Crisps and Propercorn, was welcomed by all. The atmosphere too was a huge success with the dance floor being packed most of the night. The queues for the buses back into town and the ‘free-for-all’ that developed in the cloakroom however, were not quite as enjoyable.

Christmas Ball

With past themes including Narnia and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, free food and spectacular decorations are always to be expected. Perhaps this is one of the reasons this ball is so popular, with tickets for this year’s event (Hogwarts themed) selling out within hours, after what was for many a fruitless and long night of queuing.

Held at Kinkell Byre and with an organised pre-event, guests should expect a smooth ball. In the past the Mermaids have certainly delivered but whether it can ever truly live up to its hype is questionable.

May Ball

Another ball hosted by the KK and one that finishes off the season up at Kinkell Byre, and often in style. Last year’s ball featured fairground rides such as dodgems and an excellent atmosphere for dancing.

Similarly to Christmas Ball, this is one which always has high expectations and long ticket queues. Efficiency is therefore once more to be expected. Complaints from guests have however included the long queues at the fairground rides as well as how buses would only leave when full. From such a well attended ball however, perhaps this sort of thing is unavoidable and to be expected.

DRA hall ball

Due to the size of DRA, this ball, especially last year, is generally well attended. Last year did not fail to succeed by any means with its theme of ‘A Midsummer’s Night Dream’, including free drink, food and shisha.

Organization of transport and of the venue itself was on point and it can only be hoped that this year’s ball committee will exceed what was achieved last year.

Vote for your favourite

It’s difficult to pinpoint the best ball in St Andrews. Each of them are different, in terms of size and theme, yet after a while they can all blur into one, with the locations (LCL or Kinkell) and food (Janettas) on offer often being repeated.

What is enjoyed by some, might be another’s idea of a nightmare. Often it is down to the situation we are in at a ball, for example, a friend got drunk too early and had to be taken home. What is most important then perhaps, is to go with a group of people you know you can have fun with, no matter what. Food, drink, queuing and general organisation are then to be factored in, as well as the theme and decoration. The bigger and more popular balls are often good for this as there are high expectations, but small balls can prove to be diamonds in the rough.

Photos courtesy of Lightbox Creative, Ampersand Media, Taylor Almeraz and Lallie Doyle