St Andrews vs Dundee: A Yik Yak showdown

Its just too easy

We’ve all seen the infamous yaks and, if you’ve somehow missed the phenomenon, St Andrews is taking the piss out of Dundee.

Just a few examples: “Told my friend her hair looked great, accidentally got a Performing Arts degree from Dundee.”

Wahhh

And my personal favourite: “If Dundee was hit by a nuclear bomb they probably wouldn’t notice the damage” IR Lecturer…

So, are we becoming the stereotype of the ‘posh wanker’ student or is it just ‘uni banter’? Let’s be fair here, some of the Yaks are pretty damn funny and are in no way meant to be taken personally. On the other hand, it’s already tough enough trying to convince those outside the Bubble that we’re not all prats…

Realistically, it’s just banter and it’s not like we’re the only ones at it. We have at least three healthy rivalries: Durham, Edinburgh and Dundee. It’s reciprocated and jovial, so who cares if we fulfil a stereotype here and there?

Of course

We all know our stereotype right? It’s not difficult to get, we have two settings: Canada Goose American and the Barbour Brit. Putting aside the attire, we’re also known for snobbery, elitist societies and being “Oxbridge rejects” (Though we’re not as jumped up about it as Durham). So with putting Dundee down are we fulfilling this stereotype?

The blunt answer is yes. We’re mocking a university we consider beneath us: we’re complete tossers.

But does it really matter? The stereotype is there for a reason, there are some who live up to it *coughs* Sallies Select *coughs again*. But we know deep down we’re not that bad, and it’s OUR Bubble, so who gives one if Durham say we’re dull and Edinburgh call us arseholes?

I for one don’t care and seeing as we haven’t had an uprising from the north, I’m guessing Dundee aren’t that fussed either.