New library ‘parking tickets’ might make things awkward

Gone are the days of staring longingly at that abandoned table with the available plugs

The library has decided to implement bright yellow ‘parking tickets’ to combat “seat hogging”.

One of the biggest complaints when it comes to the facilities here at St. Andrews (besides maybe the sports centre… but I guess we’re working on that?) is the number of seats available in the library.

In response to the many complaints about this apparently controversial faux pas, the library is implementing a new policy called ‘Parking Tickets.’

The Library reports that each year they receive negative student feedback about “seat hogging”, otherwise known as those people who you sort of glare at out of the corner of your eye as they abandon their stuff in the library for hours.

From Monday 26th October, whenever one of the library staff notices that someone’s things have been abandoned for more than one hour, they will place one of these yellow parking ticket on the space:

One student said she waited outside the library at opening time in order to get a seat during Revision Week (real dedication). But that kind of dedication is apparently what it takes?

On an average day it can be a challenge to find a seat, but at exam time the library is typically filled to its maximum capacity, which is still only a measly 960.

As annoying as it can be, leaving things behind becomes necessary in a library where you cannot be guaranteed a seat when you return after a break.

The University has been working hard to try and improve the situation though, spending £7m on a refurbishment in 2012 and last summer adding hundreds of new plugs to Level 2.

But with student acceptance rates climbing steadily every year, this just doesn’t seem to be enough.

Full seats and it’s not even exam time

This ticket gives anyone else the right to move your things and take your seat. When you return, you’ll have to find another place to sit as the person sitting in what once was your seat avoids eye-contact with you.