5 Things to Do This Week

The Stand gives you the low-down of the best events of the upcoming week.

5 Things to Do This Week

1. The Young and Prodigious T.S. Spivet film screening. Based on the bestselling novel by Reif Larsen, The Young and Prodigious T.S. Spivet follows the adventures of ten year-old T.S. Spivet, a young boy from an eccentric family in Montana. When one day he is invited to The Smithsonian Institution to accept a prestigious science prize, T.S. decides to leave for Washington D.C. on his own. Known for his eccentric style, Jean-Pierre Jeunet’s films are always uniquely engrossing and the chance to see his work on the big screen should not be missed. The film will be screening on Wednesday at 7 pm in the Byre Theatre.
  2. _the_young_and_prodigious_t.s._spivet_-_h_-_2013

Unlisted, by Sitara. The ever-popular South-Asian themed fashion show, Sitara, is revamping its image this year with a new preview party: Unlisted. Featuring Sitara’s signature DJ Kalliope, the night promises to be a welcome change of pace and an enticing teaser for this year’s fashion show (keep your eyes peeled for model castings in the coming weeks). Unlisted will be held at Club 601 and entry is £4 online or £5 at the door.

1. Race2 Launch Night. Get a small team of two or three (including one guy) together and sign up for the highly anticipated Race2 Budapest. Each year, participants hitchhike from St. Andrews to a hostel in the annually arranged country while spending as little money as possible. For more information, check out the Facebook event of the same name. Extra bonus points for thinking up a team name in time for the event! Sign ups will take place on Tuesday at 7:00pm in Club 601.
  2. Introductory Chocolate Tasting. This one’s beautifully self-explanatory. Come down to the Vic on Thursday night at 7:30pm for an extravagant spread of chocolate samples, baked goods, and fondue. Entry is only £2 for members and £5 for non-members.
  3. Management Society’s Women in Business Forum. The Management Society is hosting it’s third annual Business Forum, featuring a series of talks by five influential women. Each speaker will explore the difficulties of corporate success and discuss the ways in which we can all become successful in our respective fields. The prestigious guest list includes women from diverse fields, including a former Editor-in-Chief of Cosmopolitan Magazine, the Senior Vice President of Communications at Kerig, and the CEO of Just Picked Coco Water, a St. Andrews alumna herself. The event will be held in the Hotel Du Vin ballroom at 5:30 on Tuesday.