The main draw of St Andrews is the cheese

It’s cheaper than Champagne

In a town known for nineteenth century halls, balls every other month and educating Prince William, it’s hard to imagine where the typical cheap student night out will fit in St Andrews. But after three weeks here, I’ve realized that a student night out is actually possible in St Andrews; the trick is to keep it cheap and cheesy.

There are expensive restaurants, and even a couple of bars that could start off your night in a very classy fashion. Walk past them and head to Tesco. Buy alcohol and snacks, and enjoy pre-drinks, probably out of mugs, until about 11 p.m.

Since St Andrews doesn’t have many clubs, head for Club 601 to start the night. Get distracted on the way and end up in Dervish, economically sharing cheesy chips with garlic between three people.

Attempt to get to 601 again, but, by this time, it costs £4 to get in. Be outraged and stay in the bar instead, where there are still lots of people, but you can just about hear what everyone’s saying, and even sit down if you want to.

Then, against your better judgment, get swept along with a crowd into Sandy’s bar, where karaoke is going on. If, like me, karaoke usually makes you cringe, you’ll probably want to get out as fast as possible – but don’t.

Stick around instead, and you’ll find yourself dancing with enthusiastic strangers to a random but strangely enjoyable mix of anything from The Fratellis to Busted to Mulan. If you’re lucky you might avoid getting a drink spilled all over your favorite jeans by a drunken 90s pop fan. If you really don’t want to call it a night, you might find yourself in The Lizard afterwards.

So, yes, there are places for a classy night out in St Andrews. You can get a fancy meal, expensive wine (in actual glasses), and spend a lot of money. Or you can have cheesy chips, cheesy pop music, and – surprisingly – a really great night.