5 Things To Do This Week

The Stand handpicks the most noteworthy events of the week from amongst the crowded St Andrews social calendar.

5 things to do this week boddika debate music is love Opening Ball Preview scandanavian society

1. Opening Ball

Featuring Asquire, Joe Jones, and DJ FLO playing alongside jazz band Normanton Street, the Kate Kennedy’s first event of the year is unmissable, especially for first years. Don your finest black tie outfits and prepare to see Lower College Lawn as you’ve never seen it before. Opening Ball will be held this Saturday 3 October.

last year’s opening ball

2.  Music Is Love presents Boddika 

Music is Love brings you the first big gig of the year featuring the London-based DJ and producer Boddika. Playing a unique blend of techno, house and electronic music, Boddika will grace the stage of Club 601 this Thursday (1st Oct). Opening acts will be Bert E from Glasgow and St. Andrews’ very own SAUNIT. Tickets are sold online and in person on Monday and Tuesday outside the Union.

3. Catwalk Model Auditions

The committee for RAG Week’s fashion show, held this year in Club 601, emphasises that they aren’t looking for your typical American Vogue boy or girl. Rather than allowing themselves to be confined by the standard expectation of a model, they plan to focus on all aspects of the hopefuls who arrive at Beacon Bar this Saturday. Personality, background, sense of style – everything will factor into the model selection process. Even if you didn’t audition for FS or Don’t Walk, it’s worth going out for Catwalk. And if you did, this could be the perfect launch point for your runway ambitions. The auditions will be held this Saturday 3 October from 12-6pm.

4. Crayfish Dinner

The name itself may not be very sexy, but the annual Crayfish Dinner is planned by the Scandinavian Society. That alone should reveal the depths of Dionysian revelry that will occur this Tuesday at the Byre Theatre. There will be booze, there will be dancing, and there will be (obviously) crayfish. In the committee’s words: “Nu vekk med sorg og klager! Følg meg, venner! I lystig drikkelag vi drukner dem!” The Crayfish Party will be held this Tuesday 29 September.

5. This House Would Rather Spend Than Save

The Union Debating Society and the Economics Society unite to present a debate on the best method the government could employ to contend with the growing economical issues that our country faces. With a port reception commencing at 7:30, students will have ample time to converse with the speakers in anticipation of the debate. Taking place at Lower Parliament Hall and featuring Özlem Onaran (Professor of Workforce and Economic Development Policy at the University of Greenwich and Marcus Booth (Partner at White and Booth LLP International Law Firm), this is surely not a debate to be missed. The debate will be held this Monday 28 September.