Five things to do this week

Spring has truly sprung in St Andrews, adding a bit of colour and vitamin D to our lives. Let’s cross fingers for another week of glorious sunshine to accompany the following events

1. Marrow St Andrews is holding a clinic today in Committee Room A of the Union between 18:00 and 19:00 to give you the chance to join the Anthony Nolan stem cell register. All you have to do is give a sample of your spit, and if it ever turns out that you’re a match for someone in need of a bone marrow or stem cell transplant, you’ll have the opportunity to save or change someone’s life significantly!

2. If you want to secure a ticket to this year’s May Ball, prepare for an early rise on Wednesday morning, with students in past years getting up as early as 04:00 to get to the Bandstand on the Scores. Tickets to The Kate Kennedy Club’s summer ball sell out in under an hour for a reason. The evening is truly fantastic, achieving the perfect balance of sophistication and party fever. Expect fairground rides, all the more enticing after the generous supply of champagne, food stalls selling candyfloss, popcorn and hotdogs, and a line-up of highly-acclaimed artists, including DJ Julio Bashmore as the headlining act. Be sure to set several alarms on Tuesday evening. The ball won’t make room for latecomers.

3. Love sugary treats? Love donating money to a good cause? Combine these two loves by indulging in cupcakes at St Andrews Against Slavery’s bake sale this Wednesday. The girls will be there from 10:00 until 16:00, and intend to donate all proceeds to Unseen, a charity set up to disrupt and challenge human trafficking. You can also sign up for the society’s 5k night run at the sale, which involves dressing up in neon clothing, commencing at 21:00 on the 20th of April near the Old Course.

4. This Wednesday, On the Rocks is celebrating the end of its fabulous arts festival with a party in the Union’s Beacon Bar from 21:00 until late. The plan is to look back on a week of dance, drama, art, poetry, music, comedy and fashion, all arts that students of St Andrews clearly excel in. This is an excellent opportunity for those of you who wish to be on the committee or put on an event next year to talk to the current committee about what to do next.

5. This Saturday marks the annual after party of the St Andrews Rubgy 7s tournament, renowned for its madness,which is set to return to Kinkell Byre after two years at the Union. Pre-sale tickets have all been sold out, but more tickets are being released on the day itself. Rugby fans (or fans of watching fit men running around a field) should head to University Park during the day to watch games between university teams, and to make the most of the opportunity to day-drink acceptably and work on a soft spring tan.

Images courtesy of The Kate Kennedy Club and and Chris Reekie.