ReScore III Reviewed

A critically acclaimed and creatively immersive audiovisual event, ReScore III brought audiences to new heights with their composition of Gravity.

In its opening moments, Gravity establishes that there is no sound in space. To support this, an edition of the film with the musical score eliminated was released, in order to present to the viewer a more accurate rendition of the depicted events. Using this edition, the ReScore team was able to compose a score of their own, performed live during a screening of the film. The result was a wholly immersive experience that allowed us to fully engage with the film, as the emotional punches struck far harder than they would from a pre-recorded soundtrack.

The ReScore team did an excellent job of selecting the ideal moments to contribute to Gravity. At times, there was only a faint cymbal beating in the background, adding tension to the longer sequences. At other times, we were treated with a powerful crescendo that reminded us of the pure scope of the characters’ experiences. There were moments, as well, that simply offered us silence. The team timed there music to the mood of the film, using their score to elevate the emotions that we were already encouraged to feel. With a combination of the right instruments, the right timing, and the right level of intensity, they were successful in this venture.

The presence of a live band provided its own layer of immersion. The music was louder and far more intense than the score I heard in the original version of the film, drawing me in deeper and capturing my attention on an auditory level, rather than merely a visual one. The musicians were able to match the pace of the film well, providing a continuous soundtrack throughout that heightened the film’s fast-paced nature. Overall, ReScore achieved all of its intended goals and added quality to an already excellent film. I hope to see them back for a fourth year.