May Ball: Official Acts Released

“The main stage will truly be taking guests on a musical journey whilst ensuring they are on the dance floor to all the songs they know and love.”

Leading up to the Bandstand ticket sales for this year’s May Ball, here is the much-awaited act line-up for the night.

“I truly think this is the best main stage line-up we have had in years. For the first time I believe we not only have an incredibly impressive headline act with Julio Bashmore, but also a much wider variety of acts including Bwani Junction, an indie-rock band who have been praised by NME magazine and were nominated for Scottish Album of the Year, and one of the top-voted DJ’s in the country. The main stage will truly be taking guests on a musical journey whilst ensuring they are on the dance floor to all the songs they know and love. I couldn’t think of a better way to end the year.” Straight from the Ball Convenor, Cyrus Danes, May Ball is certainly shaping up to be a phenomenal event. “This year we will also be hosting entertainment and DJs on a third stage (as well as the Main Stage and VIP tent) which has a closer, and more intimate feel, with a jazz band playing to welcome guests and alternative music throughout the night. This offers guests more diversity and is a really cool new addition to the event.”

HEADLINER JULIO BASHMORE

“I’m particularly excited to have Julio Bashmore play May Ball because not only is he one of the most recognized names in House Music, but throughout my time here his biggest track ‘Au Seve’ has rung throughout St. Andrews house parties and been blasted as a soundtrack at FS.” -Cyrus Danesh, Ball Convenor

He’s the producer behind some of the biggest tunes of the decade, and one of the world’s most in-demand DJs. Now with a debut album on its way, a killer new label, a raft of new tunes and a reinvigorated attitude to house music, Julio Bashmore is back in the game. Before his big breakthrough with house anthem ‘Au Seve’ in 2012, Bashmore, born Matt Walker, was another young, hungry DJ cutting his teeth in the Bristol scene. The track, coming on the back of previous underground hits like ‘Battle For Middle You’ was a worldwide smash, popping up in the set-lists of everyone from Diplo to Tiësto to EZ to Claude VonStroke to Soul Clap, and catapulting him to the status of in-demand DJ with all the high-profile international gigs that entails. Bashmore’s big break came when he had music scheduled for an EP release on Claude VonStroke’s Dirtybird label in 2009. This prompted Bashmore to cancel his plans to go to university, in favor of continuing to DJ and produce music. Between 2011 and 2012, Bashmore went on to release music on the Soul Motive, 3024, Future Boogie, and PMR Records labels, including the club hit ‘Battle for Middle You’. In 2012, Bashmore started releasing his music on his own Broadwalk Records label as well as records by Maddslinky (Zed Bias), Kowton, and FunkinEven. It was on Broadwalk that he released the track ‘Au Sève’, which went on to become a big hit on the club and festival circuit. In 2014 he collaborated with vocalist Jesse Ware releasing the single ‘Peppermint’.

BWANI JUNCTION

A four-piece indie-rock band, their sound is characterized by great songs, amazing harmonies and excellent musicianship. Their most recent output follows a spell of working with Mr Hudson. Lead guitarist Dan was taught to play by his counterpart in legendary Zimbabwean band the Bhundu Boys, and has co-written several songs on the recently released ‘mi Mandela’ album by Idris Elba, also featuring Maverick Sabre and Mr Hudson. They were nominated for Scottish Album of the Year at the inaugural award ceremony in early 2012, with NME hailing them as “a Glastonbury institution in waiting”. A stunning live band, after headlining the BBC Introducing stage at T in the Park in 2011, over the last 3 years the lads have played many of the big UK festivals: Hard Rock Calling (Hyde Park), Latitude, Isle of Wight, WOMAD, Wilderness, Jersey Live, Belladrum, Wickerman, etc. They’ve also supported The Vaccines several times and toured with The 1975. Opening for Simple Minds in front of 75,000 people at Hogmanay, the band played a series of 12,000+ arena dates in Europe with French superstar -M- (Matthieu Chedid), recording a live EP in Strasbourg.

CRAIG WILSON

Recently voted number 5 in Scotland’s annual DJ Poll alongside the country’s top jocks such as Calvin Harris, this multi-award winning DJ’s CV already boasts an array of top class gigs and awards. His talent was quickly noticed after taking his hometown of Edinburgh by storm, and he was soon to be doing guest slots at the legendary Space Nightclub in Ibiza, the Ministry of Sound Club in London, and warming up for Tiesto & Swedish House Mafia’s Steve Angello at their massive Club Life and Size Matters shows. He represented Edinburgh at the world renowned Smirnoff Nightlife Exchange Project, and has consistently appeared at some of Scotland’s biggest dance events including Coloursfest, among others.

SEEDY SOUNDSYSTEM

Seedy Sound-System are a fresh sounding 3 piece band which consist of Dj/Live production, Drummer and Saxophonist. They have been at the forefront of the Scottish club scene for the last 3 years playing the country’s biggest clubs and festivals as well as bespoke private shows for celebrities alike. Musically you can expect to hear absolutely any era or genre but with the ‘Seedy’ touch added to it. Buckle up and be prepared for a roller coaster full-on, hands in the air evening when Seedy Sound-System are providing the beats.