On The Rocks Launch Reviewed

At last night’s launch party at the Byre, St Andrews’ student-run arts festival On The Rocks attracted the attention of many. A festival made for showcasing art, fashion, theatre, photography, […]

At last night’s launch party at the Byre, St Andrews’ student-run arts festival On The Rocks attracted the attention of many. A festival made for showcasing art, fashion, theatre, photography, film, and music, On The Rocks brings together the student body and the St Andrews community.

As guests arrived and took advantage of the free popcorn from ProperCorn and staked out places to watch the opening entertainment, you could tell that it would be a very relaxed night. Using the Byre Bar and the Studio, the event began with poetry readings and an acoustic set from Anna Merryfield and Josh Fuchs. Entertainment continued with the ever-talented Alleycats, fresh off their stint at the Scottish A Cappella Championships.

Later in the evening, guests could move between the bar and the studio to listen to Jazz Works and the Wire & Wool folk band, providing a wide variety of entertainment. Everyone was enjoying the bands, as guests stood up and took to the dance floor whilst listening to Wire & Wool. While I wasn’t sure what to expect at first, the second I heard the opening bars of Wagon Wheel, I was sold on the night. I’m sure guests are looking forward to more awesome music at this year’s festival.

One of the night’s main attractions was the raffle of items donated by Helen Mirren, one of the festival’s patrons, and Joanna Lumley. From signed aprons and autographed pictures to dinners, drinks, and haircuts, there was something for everyone to try and take home. Upstairs, guests could find a large collage in the works, courtesy of Art on the Rocks.

It’s safe to say that if the launch party has this many great acts, the festival is certainly going to provide us with ample opportunities to enjoy great entertainment and outstanding work by fellow students and the larger community. With a truly diverse group of people taking part, this year’s festival is sure to be a hit.