Five things to do this week

Only one more week to go until Spring Break! Get all those essays out of the way and hit the town before a relaxing couple of weeks sunning in the Bahamas or skiing in the Swiss Alps

après-ski hotelduvin leuchars ontherocks standrewsfilmblitz theyurtparty

1. On the Rocks, a student-run arts festival involving many different mediums of art, including photography, film and theatre, is hosting its launch event this Tuesday at the Byre from 19:00 onwards. You’re promised live music, art workshops and the chance to win merchandise donated by Helen Mirren, the festival’s patron, from her recent film The Hundred-Foot Journey. Make sure you don’t miss out on this great opportunity to get a taste of what the festival, taking place in St Andrews between the 3rd and 12th of April, is going to be like!

2. A screening of all the films created as part of this year’s St Andrews Film Blitz is being hosted at the Byre Theatre this Thursday at 19:00. Go along to support your creative co-students and experience the talent of St Andrews’ budding filmmakers, as well as to enjoy a complimentary glass of wine after the viewing.

A still image from ‘Wolfbite’, a film from the 2013 Film Blitz

3. This Thursday, Peter McEleavy, Professor of International Family Law and a Barrister at 1 Garden Court, is giving an informal presentation to Law Society at Hotel de Vin about his experience of the legal profession. This event is relevant for aspiring lawyers, especially those interested in family law and human rights. Following his presentation, you’ll have the chance to ask Peter any questions you’d like, and relax over a few drinks.

4. On Friday, SAS is hosting their brand new event, The Yurt Party, taking place in a 90 feet constructed yurt village at Station Park in aid of Disability Snowsport UK. Tickets cost £30, and included in that price you get a warming hog roast (the perfect drunk meal), access to a shisha room, and music by two live bands and DJs. Tickets were being sold last week, but if you post on the Facebook event page or ask around, I’m sure you can get yourself one.

5. Aside for the aforementioned events, not much is going on in the bubble this week, so you can fully prepare for your journey home. Pack light, we’re only away for a couple of weeks after all, and try to be organised so you can go out on Friday night and still wake up in time for your 09:00 train from Leuchars the following morning. Just think, Saturday night you’re likely to be snuggled up in your own bed, after enjoying a dinner cooked by a loving parent, or for those jet-setters amongst you, already making the most of après-ski parties in Switzerland.

Images courtesy of http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki and Maia Krall Fry