Candidate Question Time: Steve Fan

Less experience, but more knowledge of what we want?

Self-proclaimed ‘man of the people’, Steve Fan, is running for Presidency. Describing himself as fun, kind, and generous, Fan is desperate to recapture the magic of St Andrews. This unconventional candidate with little experience is full of brand new original ideas. We sat to discuss his campaign, policies and of course, the all important housing crisis.

“I don’t have any experience” he bluntly admits, adding, “but to me that’s not important.” You’ve got to hand it to him, Fan is ambitious and determined. His eagerness is admirable. For Mr Fan, real experience comes from being among the people rather than being on student committees that he believes currently have little knowledge of what the students want. “I have one of the stronger claims to having that experience because I’m in the student body and I’m engaged with student matters.”

Fan’s policies are wide and many, but interestingly enough, his main aim lies in trying to recapture the magic of St Andrews. With a beaming smile and sly giggle, he recounts the time he walked into his halls of residence, only to be met with a senior student clad in hall colors presenting him with his first set of keys. “That’s the magic of St Andrews” he says smiling. “It’s something that can’t be found anywhere else. Maybe Hogwarts? That magic has motivated me to study and to have a good time. Everything else is supplementary.”

Fan’s main aim is bring that Magic to the whole of St Andrews, particularly to the union. “The magic of St Andrews is found everywhere, so why can’t it be in the union?”

When asked about housing, Fan is calm and rational in his response, believing that until we state to the council that housing is non-negotiable, we won’t have any progress.

He sensibly believes that change can’t come about in one year. “The complications are numerous in relation to the gravity of the situation.” Wise words indeed, although not very telling of what he would intend to do.

With campaigns already up and running, I’m keen to get to know how Fan’s campaign is panning out.  “The response has been brilliant” he beams. “I would really like the role, but that’s for others to judge.”

After a great deal of grappling with Fan’s aims and fathoming the great complexity that is the ongoing housing crisis, we leave on a lighter note.

“Favorite colour?”

Fan looks pensive. “Once I would have said baby blue. But now I don’t know? Purple? I don’t know. I’m struggling with colours now” Clearly for Mr Fan, more pressing issues are on his mind.