Candidate Question Time: Emily Rogers

Emily is a true Gryffindor but still loves green, and she wants your union to be your space.

DoES candidate Emily Rogers stopped by to discuss her plans for the Union next year, but also importantly what Hogwarts house she belongs in, and why she feels she deserves to get a fourth year in the town that she loves.

Emily has experience previously working with Union staff and former DoES, both through her time as a Blind Mirth producer and as the Festival Director for the On the Rocks. This gives her familiarity with the inner workings of the Union, and more importantly, this particular position.

Emily emphasized her excitement for the opportunity to work with the new venues set to open next year, replacing Venue 1. She intends to have both spaces being used as much as possible in a variety of ways. She stated, “I hope to have the club open every night. That’s what it’s there for.” If elected, she promises to bring in a great variety of DJs, even from Glasgow and Edinburgh, by maintaining the system current rep, Leon, has implemented.

Perhaps one of the biggest issues students are concerned about with a DoES is how they will handle the big enchilada: Freshers’ Week. Emily assures us that she has big plans.  “I am really excited about Freshers’ Week because of our new spaces. It’s time to get people in the door.” She has plans to bring in exciting acts and to have all kinds of different events going on, utilizing all possible venues.

The other great issue of student concern? Cheap drinks. “I am aware that people want them and I want to make that a possibility – this is probably the trickiest thing the DoES has to navigate.” They need to be commercially responsible, but at the same time recognize that they want people in the union and to get best service possible.

Our conversation then turned to more serious topics including which Hogwarts house she belonged in: “I have felt since I was 8 years old that Gryffindor is my house.” Emily then added, “Though to be fair, if I could just go to Hogwarts I wouldn’t care.” Additionally, green is her favorite color and thus, she will be running a “green” campaign, handing out chocolate instead of leaflets.

Finally, we discussed what made Emily love St Andrews and want to work here. Though she started off in the William and Mary program, she “fell in love” with St Andrews and “felt like I belonged in a place,” which is something she had never felt before.  Thus, she ended up transferring. “I want one more year here. There is so much more I can do within the union. The DoES gets to sink their teeth into every aspect and I want to do just that.”

Her closing remarks: “I just want your Union to be your space. I want people to be proud that it’s theirs. I want people to want to be in there: be it daytime or nighttime.”