AU President Candidate: Sarah Thompson

For those of you who tend to avoid all things associated with the Athletic Union (at least ever since that New Years Resolution fell through…), Sarah Thompson is the current […]

For those of you who tend to avoid all things associated with the Athletic Union (at least ever since that New Years Resolution fell through…), Sarah Thompson is the current AU President and is running unopposed for a second term.

Sarah believes continuity is key for next year as the Sports Centre undergoes a redevelopment phase that is expected to carry on into 2016.

“Having been on the project board, I believe I am in a good position to ensure student activity is safeguarded during the redevelopment. Keeping communication open to the student body is essential. I have built a close relationship with the Director of Sport that will allow me to keep students up to date on the project and notify them of any implications to be aware of in advance.”

During her first term, Sarah strove to improve the recognition and support of Saints athletes while introducing new ideas and establishing a foundation for future years to build upon. She has worked alongside the Students’ Association to implement school wide projects (like the alumni festival and volunteer recognition scheme), as well as working within the AU to increase efficiency and publicity with club captains’ forums and the circulation of an online newspaper.

“The Athletic Union is completely student driven. All of the successes our clubs have experienced have been because of the work these students put in every week and they deserve to be recognised for it.”

Sarah has accomplished many of the goals she put forth last year while laying the framework for further development. Next year, she hopes to focus on advancing the Athletic Union and solidifying connections with a reliable kit company.

“I want to keep the momentum from this year going. I plan on simplifying the AU’s transport system and producing a Saints Sport guide for club committees. Communication and continuity across clubs will be key next year and I would love the opportunity to build upon the foundations we’ve built this year.”

Although she is running unopposed, Sarah wants to urge students to vote even if they are not heavily involved with the Athletic Union. Many of her policies and projects focus on standardising support for students involved in extracurricular activities across the University. She seems to have made good progress during her first term and hopes to use the knowledge she has gained to continue the development of the Athletic Union next year.

Voting opens 5 March- 6 March online. You can keep up to date with Sarah’s campaign online at https://www.facebook.com/sarahforaupres