Candidate Question Time: Joe Tantillo

Joe loves representation, strong female leads, and most importantly St Andrews!

Joe Tantillo would like to be your Director of Representation next year because he feels he is the best man for the job. He also loves the film Mulan because it has a strong female lead, great music, and the sheer greatness of Eddie Murphy playing a dragon.

Joe was very open about how much he cares about this University and the people of St Andrews. “I really, really love helping my fellow St Andrews students. I have made more friends here than I could have ever imagined.”

“How could you not fall in love with this little seaside Scottish town?”

As the current Association Chair, Joe clearly has a vast wealth of knowledge which he wants to use to help his fellow students. He wants to work on the education aspect of representation by “expanding study space, expanding study resources, and improving the advising system”.

Mr Tantillo is also very focused on the wellbeing aspect of the role. “I want to improve mental health services at the university,and I’d like to see an expansion of mental health training for society presidents and class reps.”

“My biggest qualification is my experience. I know the union system better than anyone else having been the association chair for this past year. We need someone who knows the system and has the ability to get in there and get things done, because these are really serious issues”

Joe’s campaign had been kept a secret right up until his nomination this week. However, he feels that his campaign generally is pulling together well. “People have been so supportive, it’s amazing how they come out of the woodwork to help.”

His campaign is also making great use of social media, which he hopes will increase people’s knowledge about his policies. “I want people to know that they can go onto Facebook and read my manifesto, and you can add me as a friend or send me a message if you have any questions. I’m always keen to hear from people and talk to them, and no issue is too small.”

Joe would describe himself as “loyal, friendly, and dedicated”, and hopes that the students of St Andrews will see the potential he has to be your next Director of Representation. He also possibly has the most visible passion for St Andrews that I have ever seen.