Talk Yurty to Me

Join SAS at St Andrews’ first-ever Yurt Party to raise money for Disability Snowsport UK and kick off Spring Break like never before!

After sitting down with SAS Social Secretary Bruce Kerr, I got the details for the newest event to hit the St Andrews social scene: The Yurt Party.

If you’re anything like me, then you looked at the name of this event—The Yurt Party—with utter confusion. To clarify, for those of you who think SAS is simply misspelling the word yatch, you are sorely mistaken. On March 13th, SAS is bringing to St Andrews an event bigger than the typical black tie balls, and in place of a marquee filled with catwalks, guests will be entering a 90ft Yurt Village, made of three large, circular tents, at Station Park, the Madras Playing Fields.

Inside the main tent, guests will find inspired decorations that give off a laid back vibe, and colourful cushions and pillows to relax on as the party starts. The village will also have two smaller Yurts, one with shisha and the other with a massive hog roast, all included in the £30 tickets. From the free drinks upon entry to the fully stocked bars, SAS will keep the refreshments flowing and the vibes smooth all night.

The event will kick off with a St Andrews blues band, followed by the headliner Sunshine Social from Edinburgh on their Spring Tour. The indie beats will hopefully bring St Andrews a taste of summer as the night launches us into spring break. Following these awesome acts will be resident SAS DJs Psychic Tandem War Elephant, and, hot off his gig at FS, DJ Joe Jones.

Not only is this an inspired event, but it supports a truly great cause. This year SAS will be donating all proceeds of the Yurt Party to the charity Disability Snowsport UK. A cause close to the heart of SAS, DSUK was founded “to promote equality and opportunity for people with disabilities to take part in snowsports and to help improve their enjoyment and standard of performance at the level of their choice”.

With great entertainment and even greater cause, the Yurt Party is not to be missed! Rather than sticking to the typical society balls that St Andrews is known for, SAS is giving guests the chance to enjoy an informal, laid back evening of music, drinks, and food, and as we head into spring break, it will truly be a blow-out party to celebrate the end of pesky deadlines and forget about the stress of the semester. As social secretary Bruce Kerr put it, “this event is going to be a bit more quirky than your regular St Andrews event, and we’re trying to attract as many people as possible!”

Check out the Facebook event here. The next round of ticket sales will be outside the library on Thursday, March 5th. If you can’t make it, or if you don’t want to leave the comfort of your duvet, online ticket sales are available at http://www.standrewssnowsports.com/projects/
Don’t miss out on a smashing night with our favourite Snowsports Club!