SAASUM Conference Preview

Don’t miss the first annual conference of the St Andrews Africa Summit (SAASUM)

The first annual conference of the St Andrews Africa Summit (SAASUM) will take place on Saturday 28th of February in Lower College Hall. The summit itself is the culmination of a series of reviews, articles and talks that have taken place over the last 6 months, from art lock-in’s to debates on Africa’s economy.

SAASUM aims to challenge stereotypes of the African continent and its peoples by questioning dominant narratives. This year’s summit will focus on the role of the media in shaping external perceptions and more broadly on its transformative potential for civil society and governance on the continent.

The summit line up features a truly outstanding array of practitioners and academics, such as award-winning journalist Prue Clarke who is a founder and Director of the media development NGO ‘New Narratives’. Other practitioners include Ralph Simon, considered a ‘founder of the mobile entertainment industry’, and Edward Boateng, who established the CNN African Journalist Awards recognising journalistic excellence and integrity during his tenure as head of CNN Africa. Academic speakers include the influential anti-corruption activist and author Dr Robtel Neajai Pailey of SOAS, University of London, and Vijaya Ramachandran, currently a senior fellow at the Centre for Global Devlopment who has previously worked for the World Bank and in the Executive Office of the Secretary General of the United Nations.

With a professional and dedicated approach, the SAASUM team hopes to create a lasting dialogue about African affairs and offer an unmissable event for anyone seeking to question what they thought they knew about Africa.

The summit will run from 0930-1700 on the 28/02/15 and tickets can be purchased from www.saasum.com. A small number of tickets will also be available on the door.