Friendships Make St Andrews- The Rector’s Installation

Catherine Stihler reflects on friends both old and new at her official Installation.

Whether you found her election controversial or not, Catherine Stihler MEP was appointed Rector this week. Friday marked her official installation complete with speeches, Latin prayer, music, and the presentation of a cap and gown which identifies Catherine as the Rector of the University.

A crowd of students gathered and took their seats in Younger Hall, with the Rector’s Committee and assorted guests looking on from the balcony. Beginning with the Gaudeamus and traditional academic procession, Catherine took her place on stage beside Rector’s Assessor Annie Newman and Louise Richardson. After a short ceremony and oath, the 52nd Rector was presented with her cap and gown.

Photo taken from @C_Stihler_MEP Twitter page

The audience were then treated to a selection of speeches, the first by Louise Richardson. She spoke of previous Rectors, both successes and failures, and assured us that Catherine’s already obvious contribution to the St Andrews community was a great indication of what is to come in the next three years.

Professor Richardson was closely followed by a speech by Pat Mathewson, who told students and colleagues to consider the idea that “there is a hidden strength in St Andrews”- one which I’m sure will resonate with many when they consider their own St Andrews experience.

Finally, it was the turn of the newly installed Rector of the University. Catherine commented from the beginning that she was going to make the most of every second of her 15 minute speech. She did not disappoint, and spoke with passion about her belief that Friendships really do make St Andrews. She related this not only to her own days as a student, but also to the new generation which she felt lucky to be a part of. She stated that she knew that these friends really would be “friends for life”.

Inspired by the words of these three St Andrews personalities, the audience followed the academic procession back outside for a reception on Lower College Lawn, aware that the ceremony they had just attended was another little piece of St Andrews history.