West Sands body identified as fresher Kieran McCann

‘The response says a great deal about Kieran, and perhaps as much about the quiet strength of our community here in St Andrews’

St Andrews Uni have confirmed the identity of the body found on West Sands yesterday as that of Kieran McCann.

The first year went missing early on Wednesday morning after a night out with friends, who then filed a missing person’s report.

His body was found at around 2pm on Thursday by a group of male students who lived with him in DRA. Despite being deterred from searching by the police, several groups of volunteers went out looking around the St Andrews area for any sign of the 18-year-old.

The residents of DRA have come together to support each other through this difficult time, as well as the entirety of the university.

Principal Louise Richardson said: “I’m afraid that I am writing with very sad news.

“As many of you will already be aware, the search for Kieran McCann, one of our students who had been missing since Tuesday night, ended in the worst imaginable way yesterday when a body was found on the foreshore near the Sea-Life Centre.

“Our worst fears were confirmed last night when Kieran was formally identified. While police are continuing their inquiries, everything we know suggests that he lost his life in a tragic accident.

West Sands

“Kieran was 18. He came to us from the Windward School in California last September to study Economics and International Relations and had completed just one term. By all accounts, even in his short time here, he took to his studies and extracurricular activities with particular energy, enthusiasm and an infectious sense of humour. A keen ice hockey player, he played in goal for our team.

“I did not have a chance to get to know Kieran but I have been struck by the affection in which he was so clearly held by a very large group of friends. Many of them had been searching for him after he failed to return to his flat at David Russell Apartments on Tuesday evening.

“By yesterday morning, over 300 students had volunteered to join the search. This response says a great deal about Kieran, and perhaps as much about the quiet strength of our community here in St Andrews.

“Our thoughts and deepest sympathies are with Kieran’s family in the US at this desperately sad time. We are in touch with them to offer whatever support we can. I know that Student Support Services and the Chaplaincy are also offering support and counselling to his close friends.

“It is too early to provide any information on funeral or memorial arrangements but when these are known we will ensure that details are available from The Chaplaincy.”