The Stand’s 5 Alternative Christmas Anthems

Because not everyone wants to hear those sleigh bells ring, a-gain

December has arrived which can only mean one thing … Christmas is coming! It’s that time of year for our ears to be repeatedly subjected to the warbling of Mariah Carey, Wham and Slade everywhere we go, whether we’re shopping for that last minute present or just escaping the cold in the nearest coffee shop. Surprising as it may be, not everyone wants to hear someone sing about those sleigh bells ringing for the hundredth time. So for those of you who are tired of listening to the same Christmas hit list, year in, year out, and would like a tune a little less mainstream to get yourselves into the festive spirit, here are five alternative Christmas anthems that should still keep you jingling.

The Kinks – Father Christmas

Okay so it’s not the best Christmas song in the world but it’s The Kinks and Ray Davies sings about mugging Santa. Darkly entertaining.

Julian Casablancas – I Wish it was Christmas Today

Not what you’d expect from arguably one of the coolest front-men from the last decade, nevertheless he manages to pull off a tune that you can sing and drunkenly shake your tinsel to at your next Christmas party.

The Ramones – Merry Christmas (I Don’t Want to Fight Tonight)

If you’re looking for a punk edge to your Christmas playlist, look no further. Joey and his band of rockers play some catchy riffs and seem to be asking us to call a truce with our loved ones because hey, it’s Christmas, and we don’t want to fight.

Run DMC – Christmas in Hollis

So this is novelty hip-hop at its finest. It’s cheesier than the cheesiest macaroni cheese and will definitely get you in the Christmas spirit. It’s even featured in Die Hard. Enough said.

Galaxie 500 – Listen, the snow is falling

This is one to wind down to, a moody Christmas anthem with soft vocals and an entrancing guitar instrumental. The perfect tune for closing down a Christmas party or for when you’ve just eaten so many mince pies that it’s too much effort to get up and dance around your room.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Picture courtesy of Creative Commons