St Andrews Ball Reviewed

The St Andrews Ball succeeded in their celebrations of St. Andrews, and what being a student here means – mixing the typical ball with the beauty and magic of our town.

The St Andrew’s Day Ball still feels relatively new. How ironic, that it feels new, when arguably it is one of the oldest balls here! Much of the furor and hype surrounding the ball seems to be in almost direct competition with Christmas Ball, but like most competing forces in St Andrews, the ball has outdone itself in following up the success of the 600th Anniversary Ball, and blowing away any hesitation of its guests who doubted their choices.

Held on lower college lawn, the venue designers were faced with the challenge of making redevelopment debris beautiful. This, they managed. From the moment of entry, fairy lights were twirled round pillars, wreathed overhead and gathered along the ceiling, in a very Midsummer Night’s Dream fashion. While the marquee was similar to Opening Ball (where, in fact, many of the elements of the night fell trap to), it nonetheless was effective in providing a luxurious ambience set for a good night ahead. And if that didn’t do much for you, the three bars – cocktails, shots, and drinks – all with reasonable prices, may have blurred the edges.

We were assured that the night would ‘celebrate the town, students, and University that brings us all together’. On the entertainment side, it did, with four out of the five acts being students. Heralded in by the bagpiper at the door, we were then met with the Other Guys: the closest we have to band royalty. Proceeding from this, we were serenaded by the crooning of none other than our multifaceted DoES, Leon O’Rourke, setting the night up in good stead. The music remained at a high quality, something that I myself was surprised of, continuing with the headliner of Kalliope, DJ Gentleman Jonny and our own DJ SAUNIT. I actually wanted to dance, a triumph for the ball’s organisers.

If one wasn’t swayed by the music, however, there was plenty more to busy yourself with. Not only did the three bars ensure that no one was parched, but on top of this, there was enough free alcohol to invigorate a small army: a champagne reception, and a free bottle of Desperados, the ball’s sponsor. Guests were also welcome to a free granola from Goodness Gracious Granola at ticket pick-up, as well as Cottage Kitchen cakes, candy floss, and reduced-price Mexigo Burritos at the ball itself.

Whilst the ball was a commitment, and perhaps not much different from Opening Ball, guests can soothe their concerns by focusing on the ball’s main purpose. The money from the event funded a weekend of free St Andrews Day celebrations, namely the ceilidh on South Street. The evening’s cloakroom proceeds also all went to funding the Class Gift. Encompassing sponsors both local and unique to our town, such as Cottage Kitchen, Rocca, Scaramanga, and the Brew Pub, the ball ensured that the celebrations reached feelers out into every corner of the town, providing a proper celebration of St Andrews. My only qualm was the lack of mention of our Scottish culture, and knowing that it is easy to forget that St. Andrews is indeed in Scotland, it would be a refreshing change to see this embraced at a future celebration of the town by the students.

Overall, the St Andrews Ball succeeded in its celebrations of our little coastal town, and what it means to be a student here – mixing the typical glamorous celebrations with the home-made beauty and magic of our town. The Fellowship of St Andrews ensured that a good night was had by all.

All pictures courtesy of Gillian Davies