What to Wear: St Andrews Ball

Either dramatic lips or eyes, never both.

It’s time to celebrate the beautiful place we are living and studying in: St. Andrews. A picturesque little town on the coast, with an ancient golf course, sea views, West Sands, East Sands, the pier, the most pubs per square mile in the country, quirky traditions, a diversity of students and … amazing balls. After the incredible success of the 600th Finale Ball, the Fellowship of St Andrews invites you to this year’s St Andrews Ball – it just keeps on getting better. The only thing needed to really make this glittering night is a glittering outfit. So… what to wear?

The official dress code for the evening is black tie. For guys, that’s pretty straightforward: get out your tux, dancing shoes, and cologne. For girls, it’s time to wear your favourite dress, or maybe try something completely different… like a jumpsuit!

You can never go wrong with a little red dress – just as classic as the LBD, but a bit more daring!

Black goes with almost everything, but with burgundy it looks especially seductive and a little bit vampy.

Admittedly, a long dress is not the most practical thing to wear to a ball held on the Lower College Lawn, but nothing looks more elegant than a flowy long gown. However, a high low dress might be the perfect solution!

Try something new – try a jumpsuit. It might not be the first thing you think of when you hear “black tie”, but with a pair of high heels, an elegant clutch and a black blazer, it could look absolutely stunning!

Hair and Makeup

Beachy waves or vintage curls are always a good idea. Braids look very playful and can give you a romantic look. An updo or a high ponytail would look great with the jumpsuit outfit.

When it comes to makeup, you can never go wrong with a smoky eye or red lips – but never both (remember: either dramatic eyes or bold lips)! However, feel free to experiment with eye shadow colours and just have a little fun with your makeup!