Five things to do this week

It’s the last week of lectures, which means that Christmas is finally in sight! We just have to make it through a gruelling month of revision and exams first…

coppafeel! danarcher standrewsball stereoscope

1. Learn how comic strips can be used to comment on topical issues

This Thursday, Dan Archer, an investigative graphic journalist, is giving a talk in the Arts Lecture Theatre between 17:30 and 19:30 about ways of using visual storytelling in the context of human rights reporting. He’ll focus mainly on his recent project investigating human rights in Nepal, and aims to give his audience an insight into the creative process involved in producing comic strips illustrating these kinds of serious issues. Tickets are being sold at Taste for £3, so don’t forget to buy one while picking up you morning coffee en route to the library.

2. Take a chance at the launch of ‘Chance’

Join STEREOSCOPE magazine at the launch of its new mini-issue ‘Chance’ on Saturday, the perfect way to relax and enjoy yourself after eleven weeks of lectures. The exhibition is being held at the King James Library in St Mary’s Quad at 19:00, and admittance is £2, £4 if you’d like a copy of the issue. The people behind the magazine’s production will be going to One Golf Place afterwards, and you’ve been invited to join them in dancing to Moodroom Collective’s electronic set from 22:00 until late.

3. Drink cocktails in celebration of feminism

On Tuesday, Spectrum Radio, a podcast in affiliation with Feminist Society, is hosting a cocktail party in Regs’ games room to celebrate their second year as St Andrews’ first gender oriented podcast series. Cocktail dresses or anything in keeping with 1920s glamour is strongly recommended, although not mandatory, and remember to bring your own alcohol. Cocktails will be provided for early birds with donations!

4. Learn what normal breasts should feel like

CoppaFeel! Society has invited two Boobettes, a group of young women who have either suffered from breast cancer, had a breast cancer scare or have a connection to the disease, to give a talk about the signs and symptoms of breast cancer, particularly in young women. The St Andrews CoppaFeel! team is hoping to educate The St Andrews student body about the disease, and eliminate the false belief that it only affects older women. Go along to the School of Medicine at 19:30 to be enlightened about how your breasts should feel and ensure you can detect anything which shouldn’t be there.

5. Celebrate St Andrews Day at The St Andrews Ball

This Friday is The St Andrews Ball! What better way to celebrate our beautiful town and fantastic university than with a glamorous black tie ball? You’ll be given a glass of champagne on arrival and serenaded by a piper as you make your way through the beautiful surroundings of Sallie’s Quad into the marquee. Tickets are £35 and available for purchase online at http://www.standrewsdaycelebrations.com/standrewsballtickets. I hear there are going to be plenty of bars and food vendors to keep you fuelled throughout the night!

Images courtesy of Lili Vankó and http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki