Review: SAASUM

Tyler gets creative with SAASUM

Last Saturday night saw SAASUM (St. Andrews Africa Summit) host their last event of the semester prior to their conference next year. Translating African Art, a wholly creative night, was a departure from the previous lecture on economic prospects and the ‘Afrobeats’ dance night. Attempting to examine the role of the media in Africa and change western perspectives, this inventive and experimental approach was a successful one. After all, what can be more nuanced than individual creative response?

Decking out the Barron with artistic supplies, SAASUM provided the chilled vibe required for end-of-week-eight relaxation. The ambience was intimate and it was nice to see at least some dedicated members of the committee on hand to welcome guests and explain any unfamiliar concepts. In one corner, assorted musical instruments were placed to encourage give-it-a-go playing. On another wall, a blank canvas was placed above a collection of paints.

However, as guests picked up the paintbrushes, guitars and collage paper, they likewise picked up a poem, newspaper headline, novel, or play. This visual stimuli, embodying facets of Africa, was the driving force of the night.

Imogen Hooper, originally from Kenya, and part of the Content and Speakers team, explained the weaving exhibit, the most popular corner of the room. One of the earliest African textile techniques, weaving has been used all over the continent to create cloth, baskets, furniture and even housing. To different ethnic groups, weaving has always been a vital part of culture and identity across the continent. Its relevance to the summit then, is that by in turn weaving National Geographic images of the world at large into one artwork, students share in said identity and impose their own interpretation onto it, combating stereotype by overpainting a symbol of their choice. A particular favourite was the pot-plant, painted onto one piece, which symbolised unity, arable fertility and family, as well as the growth of the summit, now in its first year, itself.

Attendees were not expected to create the fun alone. Tawona Sithole, co-founder of Seeds of Thought Poetry Glasgow, united the crowd, who lounged on the Barron floor putting their energy into a pass-around bracelet, with chants of “Hekani!” and thought-provoking slam poetry, backed by steady drum-beats, in which he addressed the subjects of identity, money and words themselves. Joe Zenga Pacifique Makangu likewise gave an inspiring performance. Dr. Mattia Fumanti, an anthropology lecturer from the university, spoke on the changing nature of African art. He covered topics from Picasso and the mass of appropriation of African art in the 20th century, to present day reclamation and the role of modern African artists such as Tuli Mekondjo. Fumanti’s powerful presentation shed light on a hidden history of art.

SASUUM’s niche take on the creative lock-in template made for an evening of warmth and sincerity, greatly helped by the complimentary tea, and the assortment of scones, cakes, chocolate-chip cookies and star biscuits offered at the grand price of nothing.