Nearly: The Woman Who Cooked Her Husband Reviewed

Whilst The Woman should have probably been left to stew a little longer, no food poisoning was reported. In general, a promising effort.

The psyche of a woman cheated on by her husband in the midst of a mid-life crisis is a tale as old as time. However, the cast of Thursday evening’s The Woman Who Cooked Her Husband took on the tradition with the spirit of novelty.

The cast’s small size made chemistry essential, and the actors were very successful. I particularly enjoyed the final exchange between the two ladies, where their discussion of the method of body disposal was conducted with the logic and simplicity of popping a meal in the oven. Stage management did a good job of economising with their set, using each side of the stage to represent each woman’s abode. This facilitated dirtbag Kenneth’s flitting back and forth from his homebody wife to his career-climbing mistress.

Considering the small size of the cast, the actors all carried the dialogue well and had very good stage presence even when only one actor was on the stage. The exchanges between the characters always escalated very well: Kenneth simply getting angrier and louder, and both Hilary and Laura adopting some admirable sass on their road to the manslaughter of an emotionally abusive husband. Aside from a few slip ups with lines here and there, the cast gave a solid performance of an old story with a dishy twist.

Whilst The Woman should have probably been left to stew a little longer, no food poisoning was reported. In general, a promising effort.

Photos by Katie Brennan