In Defense of Blackout: #GetOut

Were the images sexist and derogatory…or empowering?

The Saint recently reviewed Blackout and although it took no position itself on the matter, it quoted a society and other individuals who were avidly opposed to the event. In a letter to GIG asking to comment on recent criticism, the Saint asked: “How would you respond to criticism that the promotional images used may be sexist or derogatory?”

As a feminist, I want to address criticisms of Blackout and its promotional photos. What is really “sexist” about the pictures and the event description? I not only study feminism and sexual perceptions at this University, but it has been a long time interest of mine. I have read countless pieces of literature from Simone de Beauvoir to modern day pieces on Slut Shaming and yet I support Blackout’s photos (I’m only addressing this year’s as I have not seen previous years’ promotions).

The pictures show a gorgeous woman empowered in her sexuality. She is very clearly in the position of power in both pictures and this seems very intentional. To tell a woman she should cover up and should not be seen in her bra and underwear is sexist. The girl shown is confident, beautiful, and in control. To call this sexist solely because of her outfit is exactly what the slut shaming movement is trying to move past. A woman should never be taught to be ashamed of showing her body. Would you call this sexist if she had a dress on? Surely not.

My second point is regarding accusations of the event description being “inappropriate.” The event description hints at BDSM, which is an alternative sex practice enjoyed equally by both men and women. Neither men nor women should feel ashamed of sex practices they enjoy and to call this “derogatory” is extremely close-minded and dismissive to non-normative and alternative sex practices.

However, my third point is what I feel is at the heart of the matter. This goes specifically out to FemSoc. I understand fully the mission of feminism and gender equality and appreciate that your society focuses on moving society forward in this aspect. However, partaking in a petty argument about “sexism” created by a picture of a girl in her bra is doing the name of feminism zero help. If you want to show the world that women are equal to men, you will help a great deal more by giving them examples of such in order to help women move forward.

GIG should be proud of the work they do for women; they have helped place so many young women over the years in jobs in business and finance – a world formerly dominated by men. I would encourage your society to show young women that achieving their dreams, whatever they may be, is possible. Run an article in the Saint on women making their way in the world to give female students at this University an idea of what is possible. Give them role models. Show them what they can do to empower themselves. Show the world women are equal to men by proving it with your actions. Petty press about sexism is not doing anyone any favors. While I fully appreciate your mission, I strongly feel you are going about it in the wrong way. That being said, I want to say thank you for being a part of the movement towards gender equality.

Sincerely Yours,

A proud feminist.