Essay break! – The Coffee House Sessions

Who needs the library? Sit back and relax in the Rector’s Café!

Are you wondering what on earth has been happening in the Rector’s Café for the past few Fridays? Have you questioned why your panini has frozen mid-air with your mouth hanging slightly open, unable to take another bite whilst you absorb the glorious sounds of live music ricocheting off the Union walls? Well that, my musical friends, has been the delightfully charming and utterly mesmerising brainchild of Coalition Talent: The Coffee House Sessions.

I’m sure we can all agree that silently crying to John Mayer in a lonesome corner of the library can get a little stifling, particularly when you’re on your fourth Starbucks coffee and the veins in your eyes are disintegrating slightly from the stark lighting. There is something so refreshing about the Rector’s Café, with its natural sunny glow and the limitless possibilities of people watching. Despite being a hive of activity, you always get the feeling that people are there for a purpose; committee meetings and study sessions seem to make up a staggeringly large amount of the clientele. And now, with the added incentive of being able to listen to some live music whilst I work, there isn’t anywhere else I’d rather put my feet up and struggle through Paradise Lost.

Florrie just casually being a musical goddess

The Coffee House Sessions is a movement that was started in 2013, with the intention of introducing new music to university students in a relaxed environment. St Andrews has been lucky enough to host The Shires, Florrie, and Eoin Glackin, who are all exceptionally talented and innovative acts that complement any essay plan or casual cup of cappuccino; I assure you that the hypnotic twang of an acoustic guitar can do nothing but send you into an little bubble of joy. The next to thrill us with his American-inspired blues is Steffan James, a talented young singer from South London whose crisp but unassuming voice will thrill you with the likes of “Inside Out” and “She Knows”. And so, if you desperately feel the need for a change of scene on Friday evening, make sure you get yourself over to the Rector’s Café to contentedly nod along to what make be a new niche in your studying regime.

To find out more, pop by the Rector’s Café on Friday 7th November at 5.30pm, or visit http://www.coffeehousesessions.com/

Photo Credit – Wikimedia Commons and Your Union Website