Five things to do this week

It may be getting colder and windier, but there’s still lots of fun events going on about town to lift our frozen spirits.

bearhug coppafeel! nighline saasum standrewsday

1. Support Nightline Awareness Week

This week Nightline is holding a variety of events to draw attention to the service and its purpose. For those of you who don’t know, Nightline is a confidential and anonymous helpline designed for students who want to talk about things that are worrying them with someone completely removed from their situation. Buy some baked goods outside the library tomorrow from 11:00 to make sitting at a desk all day a little more tasty, and find out about other events going on throughout the week. Once you’ve given up on that 3000 word Plato essay, attend an Open Mic Night in association with Music is Love at Sandy’s Bar at 20:00. It’ll be really informal and relaxed, and don’t worry, you don’t have to sing. Listening and appreciating others’ musical talent is definitely acceptable!

2. Join CoppaFeel! for a cocktail (or five…)

CoppaFeel!, a charity which aims to educate and remind young people in the UK to check their boobs regularly in order to facilitate the early detection of breast cancer, welcomes you to a social at the Westport on Tuesday at 20:00. Go along to find out about the committee’s fundraising and event ideas, and of course to sip on sugary cocktails!

A sculpture taking pride in her perfect set

3. Buy a ticket to The St Andrews Ball

After the success of last year’s  600th Finale ball, the Fellowship of St Andrews is holding The St Andrews Ball on Lower College Lawn at the end of November in celebration of St Andrews Day and our fabulous university! Ticket sales are at 12pm this Wednesday at the Vic, and the first 300 tickets are being sold at a discounted price of £30 (the standard price being £35). If you’re one of the first few there, you’ll also get a free Rocca VIP card. Incentive enough?

4. Support a student-written comedy, ‘Bear Hug’

This Friday is Halloween and I’m sure you’ve all already planned spooky outfits to frighten all the locals while queuing up to buy a bottle of vodka en route to a party. Although you’ve probably got a few house parties and dinners lined up, I’d recommend checking out a comedy written by a St Andrews student called ‘Bear Hug’ before starting your freaky night. The plot involves a guy throwing a Halloween party, and we’ve been told to expect ‘some peculiar gate crashers, cruel intentions and a love story sweeter than Halloween candy.’ Enticing! It starts at 19:30 at the Barron Theatre, and you can buy tickets on the door. There’ll also be a performance on Saturday night if you really can’t miss out on apple bobbing at your friend’s pre-drinks on Friday.

5. Dance to Afrobeats

We all know that nothing much goes on on a Saturday night in St Andrews, so you really have no excuse for not attending SAASUM’s launch party at 22:00 in the Union’s Venue 1. Buy a ticket outside the Union on Monday and Tuesday from 11:00 until 15:00, and I guarantee you that you’ll have an awesome Saturday night dancing to Afrobeats played by DJ Selecta Maestro.

Images courtesy of http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki and Omar Ali