FS 2015 Revealed

All has been revealed!

All has been revealed. Today, the St Andrews Charity Fashion Show launch its 2015 Model Introductory Shoot – and I have to say, the models all look flawless. Those familiar with FS will recognize a vast majority of the returning models; however, seeing the new faces is always very exciting. Victoria, Julia, Sarina, Ivy and Margot all have very different looks, and really show the variety of beauty within the female model group this year. There are fewer new male models, but quantity doesn’t hold anything over quality on display – Anton and Bastian provide an edge and ruggedness to the team.

This year’s photoshoot in Edinburgh was taken by one of Scotland’s premier photographers, Stuart McClay. He did a wonderful job in capturing the models’ personalities in each shot while still making them look “modelesque”. Sandra Cormack of SC Make Up Artistry made sure the hair and makeup was clean and simple, while making the models’ eyes really stand out to suit this year’s theme: Eyes Wide Shut. Although a logistical nightmare, the models seemed to really enjoy the shoot (despite the occasional awkward pose). If anything, they’ve got a great cover photo out of it.

In the past, the creative theme behind each show may have been somewhat lost on the public – it’s a great party, the models look terrific, the clothes are stunning, but no one is really aware of the theme. This year, the theme is inspired by Stanley Kubrick’s film “Eyes Wide Shut”. Starring Nicole Kidman and Tom Cruise, it questions what we see, what we choose to see and what we’d rather not see. FS2015’s creative theme addresses the space between dreams and reality, between the fantastical and the surreal.

FS’s Creative Head, Oscar Macdonald, explained how “in an immersive theatrical experience, the catwalk will be our dream, the audience, our reality; constantly questioning the thin line between the two”. It’s an interesting concept that ties in both fashion and charity (something that we can sometimes forget in the haze and hype of FS). In the fashion world, what do we turn a blind eye to that we shouldn’t? Can we ignore the mental health issues rampant in fashion, owing to an unattainable standard of beauty?

Using the medium of fashion in itself, FS hopes to reverse “Eyes Wide Shut” and shed some light on a specific cause: It’s Good 2 Give, a charity that establishes a support system for young people with cancer and their families. Reminded by the creative theme, we walk a fine line between the glamour, glitz, and fantasy associated with FS, and the realities of our world – the suffering of those in need. So here’s looking at FS 2015: keep your eyes wide open for upcoming shoots, VIP table ballots and the models about town. In the meantime, check out the introductory shoot here: http://collections.standrewsfashion.co.uk/modelintro/fs2015.html

“We think we see things, that our eyes are wide open, but we are ignorant and oblivious, our eyes wide shut…”

All images courtesy of St Andrews Fashion Show. Follow us @stand.fashion.