That’s Union: “It’s not just a Bar”

I’m the Union. You’re the Union. Everything is the Union.

Campaigners excited to be a part of "That's Union"

Campaigners excited to be a part of “That’s Union”

Despite a delay in launching, yesterday marked the start of a new campaign in St Andrews- the “That’s Union” team are working tirelessly this week to try and promote student engagement and increasing awareness of what the Union does.

Through multiple channels, the team are determined to give everyone the chance to find out about how the Union works, and indeed what it can do for each of us. They are hoping to make students realise that they can get involved by highlighting some of the lesser known areas of the Union itself, whether this be Mermaids, STAR, the charities campaign, or the 300 class representatives that have been elected this year.

Students’ Association Chair Joe Tantillo, a leader in the campaign is determined let Students get information if they want it:

“The focus of this campaign is on the students; making sure that they are aware of the representational services, activities, and events that the Union can provide them. Quite frankly there are many students who are unaware of what the Union does and can do for them, for some it’s by choice. For many it will simply be that no one ever reached out to them and asked them if they wanted to know more.”

‘That’s Union’ is entirely self-promotional, trying to allow for further outreach to the students of St Andrews in the hope that this will increase better dialogue between the two.

Class Representative and campaigner Amy Chubb is also convinced by the importance of this movement:

“That’s Union is an extremely important campaign that will hopefully help people understand that the union is not just a great bar in St Andrews. The union affects so many aspects of student life, and I wanted to spread the word that everyone can get involved in some way!”

If you ever had the urge to find out more about the Union, it’s safe to say that this week is the time to make the effort and discover exactly what the Union and the Students’ Association can do for you!

Photos taken by Fiona Yelland