Shopping bag tax started today

As if you didn’t spend enough at Tesco already…

A new carrier bag tax is tackling “throwaway culture” in Scotland. Starting today, 20 October, all retailers in Scotland are required to charge a minimum of 5p for all one time-use carrier bags. Brace yourselves, because it looks like Tesco is getting even pricier.

The Scottish Parliament passed the legislation to encourage shoppers to reuse bags and reduce litter and to make progress in Scotland’s Zero Waste Plan. Scotland currently consumes 750 million carrier bags annually, which corresponds to about 11.5 bags per person every month.

In addition to being eyesores, plastic bags are a heavy burden on ecosystem health. Easily scattered by the wind, bags can be found all over Scotland, littering waterways and harming wildlife. St Andrews residents can agree that half-buried plastic bags are no rare find on West Sands.

Scotland’s new bag tax seeks to minimize litter like this.

Scotland is not the first to implement such a law, even within the UK. Taxes have decreased bag usage by 75% in Wales and by 80% in Northern Ireland. England is scheduled to follow suit with a bag tax of its own in October of 2015.

Not all carrier bag taxes have been smooth sailing. Both Italy and Ireland struggled with what was an initially successful tax — although bag usage dropped dramatically at first, numbers began to creep up again in the following years.

In response, both countries increased the bag taxes. Ireland started with a €15-cent charge in 2002 and increased it to €22-cents in 2007.

It looks like it’s time for St Andrews to get used to reusable bags, as the price may just keep rising until we do.

Image courtesy of https://www.flickr.com/photos/brainless-angel/2496128788/in/photolist-4Nzj8f-4yVLy7-4yVLy9-4yVLxY-4yVRqo-4AKSx3-bqiHPw-4ysZPW-bnZMts-bDjyan-bDeQH2-4AKUn9-8Sz8UJ-bqjWTA-bDeR5B-4E58dG-4FY2WS-4FTRhx-4AsMD9-4E58LG-4E584L-4yVLxU-4AwsNS-4AwyqY-4CJVVk-4Cxuwg-4GQitk-4AsMHU-4E58oE-4CpGus-4AsgCt-4ztB1K-4CxutM-4Asg6r-4CpGoN-4AKUgw-4Ashbv-4AYLbC-4yRwnr-4yVLxQ-4AYLxJ-4AwxuA-4FTRp8-4AFD5x-4E58GC-4DZRLe-4AYLjf-4AYLEC-4FTRBP-4CkpPt/