No Phone Service on Raisin?!

Help, I can’t add the foam fight to my Snapchat story!

Many of us in recent days have been affected by a terrible lack of mobile phone service across St Andrews. Of course at times like these, we have two options. Either we embrace the lack of technology, or we get mad. With Raisin weekend coming up, this lack of service has caused a lot of problems for many, and the concern is only growing after it has been suggested by providers that the current situation will not be resolved until the beginning of next week.

A lack of mobile service proves to be a genuine problem for the masses that rely on phones from day to day. Missing messages and emails as well as not being able to remain constantly updated on social media has caused issues. Those of us unable to update Instagram with that all important daily photo have found themselves at a loose end in recent days, leading to a lot of upset.

On a more serious note, this problem could have an effect on Raisin.  Usually, the knowledge that you could keep in contact with your academic family easily would be reassuring, especially when they are scattered across St Andrews in the middle of the afternoon. However, for many of us who have made elaborate plans, the lack of phone reception could cause major trouble. Particularly, academic parents are beginning to worry. Two academic parents recently voiced their concern:

“Having no cell service is surprisingly damaging to my quality of life at the moment, but Raisin could be a disaster without it

“If I lose track of one of my more inebriated children in town, I don’t know how I’ll be able to ensure their safety.”

Those who have already experienced Raisin will realise that phone communication can sometimes be key for ensuring the safety of academic parents and children alike. With word out that these service providers will not have fixed the problem until at least Monday, a lot of us have the right to be nervous.