Students warned about Raisin anti-social behaviour

A unique experience, and one which most other universities would long since have prohibited

Ahead of this weekend’s Raisin festivities, students have been warned that anti-social behaviour and drunkenness will not be tolerated.

For those of us who have previously experienced Raisin Weekend, the excitement of the unique tradition is drawing near. Academic parents are putting together their final plans and clearing Tesco, Aldi and Morrison’s’ shelves of alcohol. Meanwhile, Fresher’s feel a mixture of excitement and trepidation as they hear the stories of years gone by.

Whilst university representatives and police liaison officers make the rounds of student halls to inform Fresher’s about how to stay safe during Raisin Weekend, a University spokesperson said that although it was recognized that Raisin Weekend was a unique part of the St Andrews experience, anti-social behaviour would not be tolerated.

Joint meetings between the University and the students’ association have been taking place in order to agree on a strategy for the weekend. PC Leisa Metcalfe said that “Along with officers from Police Scotland, members of university staff will be on duty on Sunday and at least one Red Cross ambulance will also be present.” One thing to remember this weekend is that it is illegal to carry an open container of alcohol around the streets of St Andrews. So don’t let a hefty fine ruin what will be a fantastic day for all students.

One thing to note is that this year, the Foam fight will be taking place on Monday at 11am on Lower College Lawn rather than Sallies Quad due to ongoing construction works.

It truly is a unique experience, and one which most other universities would long since have prohibited. However, despite the annual threats from the University to end Raisin if anti-social behaviour becomes an issue, the responsible students of St Andrews have ensured that, for the most part, the weekend is one of fun and enjoyment. Let’s continue to share in a unique and exciting weekend – stay safe this weekend!

Image courtesy of http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:St_Andrews_Quad.jpg