Review: “In the Wake of Neil Gunn”

Nicholas checks out the opening event at the brand new Byre Theatre

This past Tuesday, I had the pleasure of attending a performance by Mike Vass at the Byre Theatre. The title of the performance was “In the Wake of Neil Gunn” . As it was explained to us, Neil Gunn lived in Inverness and worked in the Customs office. He decided to sell his home, buy a sailboat, and then sail around Scotland’s West Coast. Later Neil Gunn wrote a book entitled, “Off In a Boat”. Mike Vass read Gunn’s novel and recreated the account of Gunn’s travels around Scotland. In doing so, Vass composed music whilst sailing and then met with other musicians while in port.

I found the music to be extremely moving. With song titles like “Heave and Roll” and the combination of classic instruments with non-traditional sounds like creaking wood, I felt like I was off in a sailboat. Vass was very good at explaining the inspiration behind each song, which allowed for an even greater appreciation of the night’s performance. Vass’s music was accompanied by projected images from his travels, which allowed the viewers to see exactly what had inspired him to create each piece.

This concert was open to the public, allowing for classical music-loving locals to attend alongside students. After speaking with various guests, I learned that some people had driven nearly an hour from outside Edinburgh just to hear Mike Vass perform. It was really nice to see the locals and students coming together for an evening of music appreciation. Students and locals alike seemed to really enjoy the event. Mary Shiraef, a postgrad, said: “It was better than expected, and the music was very touching”; she was even inspired enough to buy Gunn’s book. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and the refreshing change of scenery provided by the Byre, and I hope that the university continues to host more events like this.