Five things to do this week

It’s only the second week of lectures so make sure you don’t miss out on ANY of these events!

1. SAASUM and GIG talk

St Andrews Africa Summit and Global Investment Group invite you to the Buchanan Theatre tonight to listen to Professor Mthuli Ncube speak on the topic of African economic prospects. Ncube is the Chief Economist and Vice President of the African Development Bank, and has been named Africa’s number one economic thinker, so if you’re an Economics or IR major, you have no excuse for skipping this big fish’s talk!

2. St Andrews versus Dundee Varsity Wednesday

If you’re a football fan or fancy an afternoon watching fit guys and girls run around in short shorts, head to the Sports Centre this Wednesday at 13:30 for the annual St Andrews versus Dundee Varsity showdown. Don St Andrews colours, buy a few beers and cheer on our players in their endeavour to beat our local rivals.

3. Law Society bring you some industry professionals

After an afternoon of football fun, head to Parliament Hill at 18:30 to listen to Ailsa Wilson QC, Hazel Scott and Stuart Waddell of SSE talk about their careers in law. There’ll be a wine reception to start the evening (free vino, need I say more?) and a chance to quiz the legal beagles on their professional and life experiences. If you’re hungry for more legal talk, as well as food, you’re more than welcome to join the lawyers at a dinner somewhere in St Andrews – probably with more vino!

4. Music is Love

The Stand in association with Music is Love brings you the perfect start to your weekend with an Afro Caribbean reggae night at the Union this Friday. Messenger Sound System, Scotland’s original roots and culture rasta reggae sound system, promises to provide you with a reggae mix like you’ve never heard before. Tickets are being sold outside the library Monday and Tuesday 10:00 – 16:00, and outside the Rector’s Café 11:00 – 15:00, but you can also purchase them on the door for an extra two quid if you’re over-boozed and overworked brain can’t retain this information.

5. Lumsden’s Secret Garden Party

This Saturday the Lumsden Club is hosting its brand new event, the Secret Garden Party at the Craigsanquhar Hotel and Country Estate. Having scrapped their annual summer party, PIMMS, last year, they’ve organised a civilised, open air drinks party as a final tribute to summer. Buy a ticket for £25, which guarantees you Janettas ice cream, Pipers crisps and access to live music acts and join the Lumsden ladies for a day of pretty fun and free cider.

Images courtesy of lifestylehunters.com and craigsanquhar.com