Review: Fresh Sesh

SAS gets back in action

St Andrews Snowsports always do it better and – as the largest sports club, in terms of membership – bigger, in all the right places. Friday, was no exception, as Ma Bells welcomed the return of their infamously loose weekly night. For Freshers, I gathered that the event was as fresh, as promised, and those that survived the traumatic committee-led predrinks went to Ma Bells full of high spirits and awful cider.

Outrageousness aside, I was pleasantly surprised, and mostly startled, to witness a venue in St Andrews which was complete packed by the strike of ten o’clock and, all the while, endeavouring to maintain a consistent 30 minute entry queue. The perils of this ridiculous popularity was found in the premature closing of the smoking area due to the sheer volume of rowdy people. Though, guests rarely felt the need to leave prematurely.

The two new resident SAS DJs PTWE (Daniel and Stuart) maintained the decks for the evening. Very few talented men are capable of remixing Marvin Gaye’s Sexual Healing, with such confidence and skill, and those who do are no doubt destained for a career in Berlin. Though, the problems of Ma Bells are sadly still the same, with the general lack of floorspace hindering the throwing of shapes. Perhaps the greatest attraction of the evening were the social secretaries, Maggie Goodlad and Bruce Kerr, who both graciously beer-bonged freshers, courtesy of snowsports. From experience (https://thetab.com/uk/stand/2014/04/09/review-afterski-2014/), free drinks and snowsports is an excellent mixture.

Julia Demers, responsible for organising the annual ski holiday, particularly enjoyed the evening, and remarked “It’s Bumpin” – if this isn’t convincing enough to come along to this weekly occurrence then I’m not sure what is. The real test is seeing where they can maintain the impressive turn out once term starts and keeping it consistently fresh.