Stand Up: CROSSWALK, DONT WALK’s new launch party

DW’s CROSSWALK promises to be fun-filled, chilled and raise lots of cash for charity…

Freshers’ Week is now over, and it’s time to get back to the real life of studying and sleeping at sensible hours. Luckily, we don’t have to say goodbye to drinking, partying and good times just yet. DONT WALK is here to rescue us from the post-Freshers’ blues. This Wednesday they’re hosting their new launch party, CROSSWALK, at Kinkell Byre.

To gain an idea of the inspiration behind the event’s creation, The Stand met with DONT WALK’s Executive Director and Head of PR, Conor Fennessy and Mesky Loane. They were keen to stress that the event is more than a carnival,  “It’s is better to think of it as a club and funfair combined.”

CROSSWALK is set to be the biggest launch party that DONT WALK has ever had, and the 800 available tickets are quickly selling out. They’re £25 for standard tickets, which includes entry into a raffle with “insane prizes”, unlimited popcorn, candyfloss, games and rides. For £30, you have the chance to win larger prizes – ranging from £300 of NARS makeup to a trip to Amsterdam for three people.

We questioned the DONT WALK duo on the difficulties of creating a “one-off event” at Kinkell, a venue used for the majority of St Andrews events. However, we were assured that while it may be the same venue, the event is unique, and the creative use of space will provide guests with a one of a kind experience. 

Of course, it’s difficult for us not to associate CROSSWALK with DONT WALK’s edgy, sexy vibe, but it’s a very different event. The inspiration behind the name is rooted in the New York theme of DONT WALK. The launch party, CROSSWALK begins the build up to the DONT WALK fashion show in a similar way to how crosswalks approach STOP signs in NYC. Smart stuff. It’s much more low-key, and the pair want guests to know that there’s no strict dress code, “Wear something you’re not afraid to run around and flip upside down in.”

Last year there seemed to be a lot of secrecy involved in the show’s organisation, with a last minute change of venue and a general unwillingness to reveal too much in the run-up to the event. However, this year Conor intends to be as open as possible with the public to maximise the show’s charitable impact,“I don’t believe in whispering a message, I believe in shouting it.”

You can buy a ticket to the event on the CROSSWALK website at dwcrosswalk.com/purchase or on the Fixr app to ensure access to what promises to be a great event, all in support of charity! Wristband collection will be at the Vic from 12-5pm on Tuesday.