Review: Starfields

Stafields succeeds once again

The concept of a traditional festival is gritty, sweaty, debauched chaos. When thinking of St Andrews, those are not things that immediately come to mind. Nonetheless, Starfields managed to ignite this small town’s desire for something other than your traditional Ceilidh or wine and cheese night,

On Saturday afternoon, the good people of FS turned lower college lawn into the stuff of dreams. The official launch party for one of the biggest nights in St Andrews was unsurprisingly a sell out event, with some keen students even attempting to force entry by climbing over walls! Each to their own I guess! With traditional festival style – flower garlands, denim shorts, flags etc etc, everyone certainly looked the part! Food trucks were substituted with local offerings – burritos from Mexigo, Blackhorn burgers and drinks were provided by the union. There really was something for everyone, STAR hosted a chill out lounge complete with ping pong table and the portals actually flushed! Bliss!

The 6-act festival started off with a set from our very own DJ Saunit (aka Austin Bell). An enticing set was what was needed, and it was certainly what we got. The rest of the night laid bare some of the best talent of the year as Tudor Lion kept the beats alive and Model Aeroplanes made us all jump around with delight at their catchy hits such as “Innocent Love” and “Crazy”. Neon Jungle were excellent as always, and they were the perfect introduction to Starfields’ long awaited act of the night – the one and only Nick Grimshaw from Radio One.

Mixing classic tunes with new beats, the night continued with face paint, flower head bands and of course UV glow sticks. By the final song of the night – Drunk in Love – no-one wanted to leave the marque. Finishing at 10pm the night felt as if it had passed in a blur, the laid back vibe of the whole night left everyone wanting to carry on and looking forward to what else the FS team has to offer. Well done FS, a festival we certainly won’t forget.