Review: Hot Dub Time Machine

The best Freshers’ event ever?

As a somewhat wizened, bitter and twisted fourth year whose idea of a good night out is sitting at home with a mug of Horlicks, I have attended more Freshers’ Week events than I have had hot dinners. The last part is not strictly true… but I have seen them all. I have been stung in the eyes by an over vigorous foam machine in first year and watched Tinchy Stryder throw a tantrum in second year.

When I saw the name Hot Dub Time Machine, I immediately thought of ear drum shattering nonsense and dismissed it.  A friend reassured me that it was an experience not to be missed. Intrigued, I arrived at the Union on Saturday night ready to be impressed. The basic premise behind the HDTM, as it shall be referred to, is a majestic mash-up of the top tunes from the hit parade since 1954 to the present day. Combine vintage tunes with smoke, lights and some great mixing from the man in charge, it was far superior to a cheesy karaoke night at Wetherspoons.

After the opening act finished, the HDTB was cranked up and ready to take us on a tour de force through a souped up version of my old man’s record collection. The crowd was graced with a mix of the Europe’s “Final Countdown” and Wagner’s “Ride of the Valkyries”. The night was a cracker and I was very glad to be there. I shook my tail to T-Rex and The Beatles, chimed along with the best of Abba and yelled along with more diverse tracks such as The Weather Sisters’ “It’s Raining Men”. The Union was at full capacity and the crowd seemed to be enjoying themselves in a frenzy of good ol’ fashioned dancing and singing. Not a single person could be seen off the dance floor. The only drawback was the profuse amounts of sweat generated. However, if you weren’t sweating, you obviously weren’t doing it right.

HDTM was one of the most unique and one of the most enjoyable events I have witnessed in four years of getting fresh in Fife. I can only hope that the powers that be see it fit to bring it back.