Five things to do today – Saturday

Saturday is treat day, so go ahead and treat yourself to a day of dancing and drinking

nickgrimshaw roalddahl starfields

1. Get sporty

The Sports Fayre is taking place at the Sports Centre on St Leonard’s Road between 11:00 and 17:00, so make sure you go along to find out about the sporting opportunities and facilities in St Andrews.

Footie lad preparing a beautiful kick

2. Boogie on the beach

Go to West Sands between 12:00 and 14:00 for Ballroom and Latin dancing. Even if you don’t have any previous dancing experience, you should join the dancers to learn new, sexy steps and meet fun people. Once you’ve worked up an appetite, the dancing will end to make way for a sizeable, well-earned picnic.

3. Celebrate Roald Dahl’s literature

Did you long to explore the interior of James’ unusually large peach as a child? Do you dream about snozzcumbers and frobscottles? Suffer nightmares about secret witch conventions in hotels? Join St Andrews’ Literary Society in their celebration of Roald Dahl Day at the back of Drouthy Neebors on South Street. There’ll be a reading of The Witches and a Roald Dahl pub quiz, the perfect opportunity for you to show off your Dahl knowledge and make like-minded pals.

The BFG and his beloved snozzcumber

4. Relive the summer at Starfields

Back by popular demand, FS’ festival-themed launch party is taking place on Lower College Lawn between 16:00 and 22:00. Tickets are sold out – most of us are keen beans and bought them in the holiday. We’re all very excited about the line-up, which includes hottie Nick Grimshaw of Radio 1. Ensure you’ve got your festival gear laid out, floral face paint at the ready and sensible footwear for what promises to be a wild, drunken afternoon.

Nick Grimshaw looking dapper in a bow tie

5. Don’t stop partying

Starfields is finishing earlier this year for Hot Tube Time Machine, a travelling dance party taking place at the Union at 22:00. The night will begin with music from the sixties and end with current chart-toppers, accompanied by videos on huge screens and lots of remixes and mash-ups. Unfortunately, all tickets have been sold out (I missed the boat, sob!), but if you’re a jammy holder of the Golden Ticket, obviously you’re guaranteed entry.

Images courtesy of vimeo.com, www.st-andrews.ac.uk, roalddahl.wikia.com and www.tvrage.com