Music Preview of Starfields

David chats to Model Aeroplanes to find out what’s in store for Starfields…

For those that missed out on the summer festival circuit, have no fear, Starfields is here.  St Andrews Charity Fashion show will be bringing you a wide reaching offer. Pop tunage of Neon Jungle, BBC Radio One’s own Nick Grimshaw , Reggae Dub Soundsystem and Dundee’s young rockers Model Aeroplanes is all up for grabs. We sat down with the young teens and talked about playing T In The Park, their influences and what it’s like to be a part of Dundee’s music scene.

What music did you guys listen to growing up and what bands excite you now?

It sounds so cliche but we literally grew up listening to everything you can imagine. Before the band, Rory was in to screamo music, Kieran into disco, Ben into punk and Grant was too busy being his mum’s special little soldier to know what music was! Saint Raymond is really exciting us just now, his songs are just pop goodness and he’s such a nice lad to hang with as well.

What’s the Dundee music scene like these days?

Dundee used to be known as having a ‘jumping’ music scene. There were literally hundreds of great bands around. However, we have noticed that it has depleted over recent years and we’re really trying to get that excitement back. There have been young guys come up to us in the rehearsal rooms and telling us that we’re a huge reason they started a band, which is incredible to hear. Established bands such as Vladimir and Scary People are totally rocking it though, as well as the newcomers such as Unknown on Sunday – definite ones to watch out for.

What’s been one of the greatest experiences of the band to date?

Growing up it was all our dream to play at T in the Park – just like any Scottish musician! So, as many gigs as we have played up and down the country, T in the Park is still by far the greatest experience to play. There is just something about playing to a thousand or so incredibly drunken Scots.