Review: AFISHAL

We hear drums…

Last night St Andrews had the pleasure of welcoming the one and only Afishal, a Britain’s Got Talent semi-finalist, to the union.  Now we know where ex-contestants end up.  For those of you who are unfamiliar with the joys of British television, Afishal is a one of a kind DJ who eschewed the traditional decks and traffic lights accessories.  As a trained percussionist (drummer basically) he designed and built “DJ Drums”.  What we hear you cry?  Essentially they are light up electric drums that allow Afishal to remix and perform club music live on stage, whilst each of his 16 drums creates a light show around him. Sounds odd, but it’s damn cool.

I, as well as every other student, was enthralled by his performance; it was so refreshing to have an unusual act included in our Fresher’s Week line up. The drums themselves were an amazing sight to behold, and having the DJ in control of the atmosphere as well as the music was something new that works far more than your conventional music.  We’re converted!

The music Afishal played catered to every taste, his remixes of Spotify favorites had something that everyone loved, and not a single person could stay off the dance floor for long.  With the combination of Afishal’s aura (literally, those lights were strong), the incredible music from the drums,  and £1 drinks all night, the whole evening proved to be a great success.  Please can we make him a regular feature?!

Image courtesy of afishalmusic.com