Hamish McHamish passes away

St Andrews is left saddened by the loss of town cat

It is with a heavy heart that the Stand reports that Hamish McHamish, the town’s beloved feline ruler, has passed away at fifteen years old. According to a statement released this morning on the “Hamish McHamish” Facebook page, the town’s infamous cat passed away peacefully in the company of his mum, Marianne.

The ginger puss was a regular sight on the streets and has a statue and a book to cement his popularity. However in recent times he has been less visible, due to a nasty chest infection he couldn’t shake. Messages of support and condolences have been flooding in through Hamish’s official facebook page, with many understandably devastated by the loss of such a phenomenal public figure.

Fourth year Kyle Blain said with a tear in his eye, “the loss of Hamish McHamish is one for the ages. I can only feel immense sympathy for those who loved him and the incoming Freshers who never knew him.”

Fay Morrice had similar sympathies. “Another day, another cat,” she said. “He already has more comments on his post than I will get when I die. To be fair, he’s given this community much more than I will. ”

Image courtesy of foodfromfife.co.uk