Five things to do today

Today’s a very imporant day: you get to try the Whey Pat’s nachos AND Janetta’s ice cream

1. Reveal your giving nature

If you haven’t had the chance yet to get involved in charitable or volunteering work, go to the Union between 11:00 and 13:00 to find out about charitable and volunteering opportunities in the area. All the charitable socs, the Charities campaign and the SVS (the St Andrews Voluntary Service) will be there to answer your questions and find something for you to do.

2. Tour St Andrews the foodie way

Love food and dining out? Meet at the Westport Arches at the end of South Street between 13:00 and 14:30 for a food tour around St Andrews. You’ll be shown all the local food shops and restaurants, as well as receive free food samples, such as ice cream from Janetta’s.

Tubs of Janetta's creamy, scrummy ice cream

Tubs of Janetta’s creamy, yummy ice cream

3. EAT NACHOS

Fancy showing off your general knowledge while enjoying a plate of cheesy nachos and Scottish ale? Head to the Whey Pat Tavern on Bridge Street at 20:00 for Oxfam Society’s pub quiz. I hear one of the prizes for the winning team is the tavern’s famed nachos, which come served on a huge plate, smothered in melted cheese.

The Wheypat Tavern, home of St Andrews’ best nachos

4. Experience a beach bonfire

Enjoy your first St Andrews bonfire with the Filipino Society on East Sands between 21:00 and 00:00. Picture students sitting clustered around a bonfire beneath the stars, warming their hands on the fire’s glowing embers and making new friends over bottles of Rekorderlig Cider. You’re guaranteed beauty, warm body extremities and great chat!

Beach bonfire on May Dip night

5. Scout for girls

End your day by going to Scouting for Girls’ live performance at the Union at 22:00. Some may argue that £12 is quite pricy for a Union event, but I think the fact that we’ve got a Brit Award-nominated band performing in St Andrews justifies the expense. If you’re prepared to miss out on boogying to chart-toppers such as ‘This ain’t a love song’ and ‘She’s so lovely’, you clearly have bad taste in music and lack Freshers’ Week party spirit.

Images courtesy of www.wineoftheweek.co.uk, www.privatehousestays.com, www.thesinner.net and mystandrewslife.wordpress.com