Five things to do today

There’s only one week before lectures start, so make the most of the last seven carefree days

1. Cure your hangover with a smooth smoothie

If you’re feeling really really hungover (and you should be!), rehydrate yourself with a fruit and vegetable smoothie and you’ll soon be feeling much better. Pay Vegsoc a small sum of money between 10:30 and 12:00 at Mansfield Park, St Mary’s Place and they’ll blend you up a vegan smoothie or juice and ensure a healthy start to the boozy week ahead.

Vegan Detox Green Monster Smoothie

Vegan Detox Green Monster Smoothie

2. Support environmental charities

Do you like summery fairs in pretty parks? Do you like food (stupid question, you’ve probably just been to Northpoint for maple syrup and bacon pancakes)? Do you care about the environment? If you’ve answered yes to any of these questions, you’ll have a spectacular afternoon at The Big Green Fair hosted by St Andrews’ Green Societies between 13:00 and 15:00 on St Katherine’s Lawn, The Scores. While tasting local food and listening to live music, you’ll find out how you can help out with eco-friendly projects and activities this year.

3. Prove you’re a foodie

I know these all seem to be food and drink themed, but if you’re a true St Andrean, you should love the stuff that keeps your body moving and grooving. Help yourself to canapés courtesy of Foodsoc outside the Union, St Mary’s Place between 13:00 and 15:00. JOIN the committee if you’d like to become acquainted with the St Andrews dining scene and enjoy discounted meals at some of St Andrews’ best restaurants.

Foodsoc members handing out canapés

4. Get to know your university town the fun way

For freshers who seek excitement and adventure, Macmillan have organised a daily scavenger hunt to help you get to know  the town, and each other, better. Meet outside the library at 14:00 with a team (assuming you’ve made a few friends by now…) to take part in the hunt. Macmillan members will be collecting £2 from each team member and require you to fill out a form in advance, which they’ll be handing out outside the library between 14:00 and 16:00 Monday to Wednesday.

5. End your day with giggles at the Union

If you’d like a nice, chilled night sans alcohol and are in the mood to laugh over a few cokes with friends, go to the Union at 20:00 to listen to 8 out of 10 Cats’ panelist, Jon Richardson deliver his stand up. Nominated for the 2013 British Comedy Award Best Male Comic, he won’t fail to have you giggling like a little yellow-haired girl. He’ll repeat his jokes at 10pm.

Jon Richardson and a squirrel

Images courtesy of www.ambitiouskitchen.com, chezfrench1.wordpress.com and www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk