Alex Salmond vs. Alistair Darling: Fashion Face-off

Or, if we spoke about men in politics the same way we speak about women

With just 18 days until Scotland’s independence referendum, one crucial issue remains scandalously neglected by the press: FASHION. In what could be called the biggest style soundoff since Michelle Obama and Ann Romney, First Minister Alex Salmond and Better Together leader Alistair Darling have sported chic ensembles which will doubtless influence which box we tick on the big day. First up: who looked the most polished at the podium?

Referendum Debate Chic

The first debate was a key moment for showing off style credentials. In an unprecedented coincidence, the leading gentlemen caused a stir by both arriving in charcoal-black suits. How either campaign leaders’ stylist allowed this fashion faux pas is unknown, but it made accessories even more crucial. While Alistair played it safe with chic polka dot navy, Alex looked pretty in pink with a magenta number that proved he isn’t afraid to show a little sensuality. Alistair may have looked sophisticated, but did he make as much of a style statement as Alex?

Who wore it best?

Heritage Wear

Both men claim to know what’s best for Scotland, but can they boast the same about Scottish fashion? Super-sporty Alex displayed his love for the other beautiful game in an ultra-coordinated look which was all about the trousers. However, we would suggest adding a peplum belt next time to really showcase those killer curves. Alistair, meanwhile, colourblocked a statement lifejacket with a traditional motorboat in tribute to his heritage. We can only imagine what this stylish snap has done for sales at Ocean Safety Ltd. It’s evident that the lads love Scottish fashion and Scottish fashion loves them back.

Working fierce poses for the camera

Fundraising Looks

Alex and Alistair showed their softer sides for their ice-bucket challenges with casual, summertime looks. Both gents rocked a rugby shirt for the occasion, but while Alex bared sculpted forearms in a cute short sleeve version, Alistair looked a tad matronly in longer sleeves paired with dark chinos. Regardless, it was refreshing to see both boys in more relaxed attire in contrast with their usual career guy image.

Hot normcore looks for cold normcore activities

Beauty & Grooming

On the beauty front, the gents rock a natural look with statement cropped hair and occasional sleek eyewear. However Alistair, a former #blairbabe, isn’t afraid to capitalise on his silverfox good looks and KNOWS how to work a strong eyebrow. Could his pretty face undermine the gravity of his political message, or will it draw in the now pivotal female vote? Will Alex’s sassy personality win out over this aesthetic disadvantage? Only time will tell.

Alex doesn’t share Alistair’s regulation hottie status

So who wins our fashion faceoff? It’s currently too close to call. Over the past few months, both hunks have won hearts and minds with these fashion-forward ensembles. While Alex’s distinctive taste has embodied the campaign’s promise of change, Alistair’s classic glamour could reflect voters’ desire for stability. With 13% of the electorate still straddling the fence, their fashion choices over the next few weeks could prove to be the cincher.

Who do you think is the most fashionable fella? Let us know in the comments below.

Images courtesy of BBC, the Guardian, The Telegraph and The Dailymail