Review: The Inaugural Seagullian Open

Max Arthur and John Lowe report on the first ever Seagullian Open.

A glorious St Andrews Monday played host to the inaugural Seagullian Open – an inter club/society golf tournament organised by the University of St Andrews Men’s Cricket Club. The event saw a day of fierce competition, as each team vied to prove themselves as the uni’s best golfing society or sports club.

Teams representing Men’s Golf, Football & Hockey along with players from The Kate Kennedy Club, The Typhoons and The Jewish Society headed out onto the links – each with the hope of becoming the first name etched onto the coveted Seagullian Claret Jug. With some incredible prizes up for grabs, an extravagantly dressed, Max Arthur met the first team, ‘Tiger’s Wood’, at the 1st tee of the Eden, at the horrific hour of 8 o’clock. With the rest of the teams not due to play until after midday, ‘Tiger’s Wood’, led by cricketer Tommy Abbott, took advantage of the still weather and set the pace with a competitive score of 96 Stableford points.

The Typhoons and their caddies.

Tiger’s Wood at the crack of dawn.

With the bar set high, the rest of the teams, wearing some pretty questionable stash, set out with a point to prove. As the day went on, and the weather improved, Tiger’s Wood began to regret their early tee time. The Typhoons looked like they might knock Tiger’s Wood off their perch when both Brian Cox and Ollie Cutting hit the pin with their approaches to 9. However, reportedly hindered by their four fresher caddies, the Typhoons faded. Despite their morale remaining sky high, their scores did not. A very strong performance from the football club saw them come close to claiming the top spot, but a total of 92 points saw them fall just short of eventual winners Tiger’s Wood. Predictably, the Men’s Cricket team, starring cricket club veterans Sammy Holland, Ross McLennan, Jorge Robinson and POB finished rock bottom, and collected a wooden spoon each for their troubles.

Proud winners of the wooden spoon – Cricket II.

After a brief recess the teams gathered at The Balaka for the prize giving dinner. As per usual, the madras was hot and the dhansak was the go-to dish. The meal played second fiddle, as everyone tried to save enough space in their stomachs for the much awaited ‘Boat Race’. In the event, Ed Cave of the Golf Club, unfazed by his performance on the course saw him finish as the day’s lowest scorer, helping his team to victory over the Men’s Football team in a close final. Perhaps the most prestigious prize of the day, ‘Best Stash’, went to The Penguins, who impressed with their combination of moustaches, ties, visors and a boiler-suited caddy. After digesting the curry, a few more beers were had, banter exchanged and the rest is history. The inaugural Seagullian Open was truly a cracking event that will surely only get bigger and better in the coming years.

Best Stash – The Penguins.

Overall Winners:

1st Place: Tiger’s Wood (Cricket) – 96pts

2nd Place: Football Club – 92pts

Individual Winner: Angus Roberts (Men’s Golf) – 38pts

Boat Race Winners: Hack Attack (Men’s Golf)

Best Stash: The Penguins