Fashion Inspiration: The Classics

Keep it simple sunshine and you’ll be on to a winner.

Dissertations may be due in a few days, and exam stress may be kicking in – both of which have probably drained you, as well as your usually-irresistible fashion sense. Let’s hark back to the styles that will forever remain imbedded in our memories. The beloved styles of the twentieth-century that linger from the west to the east as eternally iconic!

Audrey Hepburn: Need I start with anyone else? Boy or girl, you cannot deny the beauty, the grace and the style of this actress (and humanitarian). Known for her role in Breakfast at Tiffany’s (1961), she basically looks good in anything. Nonetheless, it is her simplicity in dress, which complimented her thick eyebrows, large eyes, sharp face structure and long legs. Her collaboration with Givenchy provided the silhouette we all know and adore. She defined this as “the spare style” and Givenchy provided this without compromising on special fabrics. Basically, Hepburn has remained a style icon because she chose a look that suited her thin frame. She accentuated her lines and used bold accessories when needed against her minimal make-up. Whether she had the cropped boy-cut, the long romantic hair (that gets cut in Roman Holiday) or her renowned bun, she always looked dashing. No one looks as chic as her  in a black turtleneck (check out Funny Face). Nonetheless, I will always remember her drowned in pearls wearing the iconic “little black dress”.
Tip: Sometimes simple can be extravagant. Likewise, black is timeless.

1

Brigitte Bardot: perhaps the original “bombshell”; the actress, model and singer with full lips, eminent waist and luscious blonde hair. Her influence on fashion begins with the Bardot neckline, named after her. (FYI: This exposes both shoulders with a wide-open neckline). In the 1950s, she popularised the bikini. Her choucroute hairstyle—similar to a beehive—is what people probably remember most, and this will hopefully inspire something other than the fresh-out-of-the-shower hairstyles. There is a reason Warhol chose her as a subject in his work, and Bob Dylan has mentioned her in a song, so take time to appreciate the glow Bardot has emitted to generations.

Tip: Have fun and show some skin. Maybe even book a trip to St Tropez?

Cary Grant: the man who teamed up with our girl, Audrey in Charade (1963), and would beat George Clooney any day when it comes to “the sophisticated gentleman”. The suit is like a second skin to Grant, and he wears it effortlessly. Now, this isn’t to suggest that all boys should wear suits in an every setting, but it is definitely something to admire. However, it wouldn’t hurt to sport a fedora every now and then. (Boys do have accessories too, which Cary Grant surely did not forget). North by Northwest (1959), one of the many Hitchcock films he stars in was a box-office success. Grant achieves a persona with his style. There is a certain behaviour – a type of attitude – that works behind his classic and simple look. Everyone knows they would want a piece of it. Grant is simply “a lad”.

Tip: Find confidence in your stare and subtlety in your gestures to create a similar ambiance to your formal wear. Style is an attitude.

James Dean: James. Dean. With Rebel Without a Cause, he made every teenager feel free to express themselves in full angst. “Live fast and die young” definitely rings true, and is given heart here, as Dean passed at the age of 24. His life and style has definitely had longevity though, for his relaxed “bad boy” look. Slicked hair is a prominent “go-to” for all guys on any day of the week. It’s also just pretty damn attractive – if done right. His fearless take is definitely epitomised in the roles he has played, but also reflected in the societal risks he took in his personal life.

Tip: Be experimental! And remember, bad boys can clean-up well too.

Marlon Brando: From A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)to The Godfather (1972)to Apocalypse Now (1979), is there any role Brando cannot perfect? With his enticing realism in the film world—and incredible variety—it is hard to nail Brando’s style to a single look. That is why it is best to say he was diverse. With age, he modified his look: going from the wildly attractive and boyish t-shirt and jeans to the professional appeal of a suit. His wardrobe essentially works like a chameleon, as he adapted to make everything work to his advantage. For every occasion, any age and the inevitable increase in status, his style kept to the par of what was expected. This says a lot about the man and essentially demonstrates that his career was his life. If the fashion wasn’t there but the look for the film was, then he had the persona to make it iconic…and, by Jove, it did.

While there are many (many) other amazingly stylish icons to hit the Western scene that have spread their image over the globe. There are two sides of the classic-style spectrum and one that lands somewhere in the middle—for both the girls and the boys. Hopefully, this serves as a reminder of where we received our lasting stylistic impacts from. Moreover, let’s hope the end of term does not paralyse our means of individual expression. Embrace your styles, ladies and gentlemen; and, it should never have to be a “desperate time” to hop back to the classic trends.