Review: Golf Ball

Golf Ball on Par

2014’s Golf Ball got the ball rolling at 7pm in, the rather aptly named, One Under. The drinks reception took place at The St Andrews LGC (Ladies Golf Club) who kindly bought the first round.  To many, it was their first time attending this event, but for those that had been before…expectations were rightly high.

golf 1

After the initial scramble to find the correct table, the company settled in to the  Rocca Bar and Grill, eager for the evening to get into full swing!  Tables were adorned with twee flat caps and dice for the game, “Three Man”, which was a primary  feature during the meal.  For the sake of my outfit, I was  much relieved when chicken liver pate arrived, as opposed the the usual soup. My table was in the minority, opting to use our cutlery but I doubt Rocca has hosted such a lively collection of guests!  A quieter interlude ensued when the slow cooked beef appeared; however, this didn’t last long. Once pudding arrived, chaos broke loose, as we were forced to virtually inhale our lemon tarts, as using hands, or indeed cutlery, was strictly forbidden.

Golf Ball was comparatively small to many other events in St Andrews. Although there were a few familiar faces, everybody felt welcome and had a really great evening.  If shoving your face into a sorbet in front of strangers isn’t a bonding experience, then I don’t know what is.  Post the pudding race, the hotly anticipated raffle results were announced with prizes ranging from a two-ball at the Fairmont to a night out with one of the (in)famous members of the men’s committee.

We then retired to the One Under for the ceilidh. The money raised from the raffle had been put behind the bar to fund those who perhaps needed some encouragement to partake in the potentially intimidating, ceilidh dancing.  The Scottish contingent relished participating in the Gay Gordons and the Dashing White Sergeant. Everyone made an impressive effort to get involved and master the steps.  Indeed, the Scottish dancing was such a hit that the transition to a conventional DJ was somewhat bittersweet.  The friendly atmosphere, delicious meal and enthusiastic dancing made this an unmissable event which was certainly considered up to scratch!

Photo Courtesy of Oz Typewriter & Zhanna Tarasko