TEDx: The Power of Play

The Stand talk to the TEDxUniversity of St Andrews directors, Yousra Elbagir and Farah Fazalbhoy, about what this year’s conference has in store.

We’re sure many of you have heard the word TEDx floating around the library’s ground floor or Tesco’s bustling aisles for the past few months, but have no idea what this seemingly random accumulation of letters refers to. Have no fear, Yousra Elbagir and Farah Fazalbhoy, the Directors of this year’s St Andrews TEDx conference, explain all to The Stand.

What is TEDx?

TED is a conference that takes place in Long Beach, California, bringing in professionals of different fields from all over the world to talk for eighteen minutes about an idea they want to share. They don’t have to talk about something relevant to their field, but should aim to present an idea they’ve had and show what it’s enabled them to do. TEDx are independent TED-esque conferences organised under a license granted by TED, and take place all around the world.

Who decided to set up the St Andrews franchise of TEDx?

The year before last a group of fourth year students brought in the license. It was initially a very small event, but has grown considerably since its beginning. We decided to reapply for the license last year, and the event’s growth and popularity allowed us to form a committee.

1375017_579429062139000_912998997_n

Why did you want to be involved in the event’s organisation?

Last year we were in charge of getting speakers to attend the event and, having seen how much everyone enjoyed the talks, we were inspired to keep going with it. You learn really useful business skills, such as how to build a conference, and it makes you appreciate how difficult it is to run a successful event. It’s like watching a baby grow!

How was the theme, ‘Power of Play’, chosen?

The host from last year’s conference, Gavin Oattes, gave a talk entitled  ‘Life’s a Playground’, which emphasised the importance of remembering to laugh at yourself no matter how old you are, and everyone left the venue feeling so good. He got everyone in the audience to play hide and seek, including Louise Richardson! He managed to appeal to people’s creative, fun side through academia, and his positive reception encouraged us to apply his approach to all of this year’s talks.

Who are this year’s speakers? How did you find them?

This year we have eight external speakers, two St Andrews professors and two students, as well as surprise performances. Lewis Kopman, Head of Content, is responsible for finding speakers, which is often very difficult because these people fill up their schedules months in advance. However, we are very proud of ourselves as we managed to get the people we really wanted in the end!

Who are this year’s student speakers?

Zorbey Turkalp, a third year medic, is giving a talk on the power of music on health, while Oliver Harrison, an Economics and International Relations major, explores the role of marriage and union in contemporary society.

Who are you most excited to hear speak?

Definitely Teio Meedendorp! He’s a researcher at the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam, and recently led the team that discovered the Van Gogh painting, ‘Sunset at Montmajour’.  I think all my fellow art historians can share my enthusiasm!

What do you think TEDx brings to St Andrews?

There are many societies in St Andrews that bring in guest speakers, but TEDx is unique as the speakers engage with people on a much more personal level. They show what their ideas have allowed them to achieve in order to convince their audience that they can do something with their ideas too. St Andrews is a very isolated community, which means unfortunately we don’t get the opportunity to experience a great cultural life in terms of going to art exhibitions, museums etc., so it’s great that we can put all these big speakers in one place for everyone to access.

TEDx St Andrews have extended their ticket sale deadline from midnight Friday to midnight Monday. You can either purchase your tickets outside the library on Friday 18th or Monday 21st from 12-4pm or online – check the event page for further details. Make sure you buy tickets so you don’t miss out on hearing a group of inspirational professionals presenting their “ideas worth sharing”!